Skip to main content

Review: The Ocean Between Us - Trinity Lakes Romance #2

The Ocean Between Us book cover on blue background

After reading Daring Mr. Darcy by Carolyn Miller and Meredith Resce, I thought I'd read the books by Meredith Resce in the Trinity Lakes Romance series.

The Ocean Between Us is her first one in the series and book two overall, offering a taste of Australia within the state of Washington.

Book Synopsis

Alanah, has set off on a trip of a lifetime.

Her best friend from high school, Sasha Kennedy, has invited her to Trinity Lakes, Washington State, to be part of her wedding party.

South Australia to Trinity Lakes is literally the other side of the world, so Alanah has a full schedule of adventure planned while she’s away. A summer camp counselor; a trip to Canada; sightseeing in New York and Boston; and avoiding Sasha’s twin-brother, Caleb.

But a silly accident puts Sasha out of commission for all the planned adventures, and Caleb is sent to retrieve his former high school sweetheart from the airport. Eleven years should be enough time to have cooled the love Alanah and Caleb once shared. Should be, but apparently not. This is not a great thing to acknowledge considering Caleb has just announced his engagement to someone else.

Six months of avoiding Caleb—worse—avoiding feelings about Caleb—is going to be a long time.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I can appreciate the delicate balance that Christian authors have in writing love triangles when multiple hearts and emotions are in play. It's especially tricky when timing and fidelity are essential in still producing the outcome of a godly relationship that readers feel comfortable cheering on. As a result, it's a tightrope that Caleb has to walk on when fighting his feelings for Alanah, his childhood sweetheart, while being engaged to Kyla. In reading some of the other Trinity Lakes books, there is some context for who Kyla is, which makes the situation even more challenging. 

While mistakes are made, I was keen to see how things were handled and resolved. Thankfully, it is clear that the characters involved need to rely heavily on God for a way forward and to know that willpower alone is not enough. Distinctions are made between what feels good and what is actually wise, providing a cautionary tale for readers. If you're a fan of reading books with high romantic tension interspersed with summer camp ministry and travels across Canada, The Ocean Between Us explores the themes of sacrifice and prudence for an Australian and an American looking for a way to meet across a vast expanse.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

There was only one boy from school she could be interested in, and he was an American who lived in Trinity Lakes, on the other side of the world. It was hopeless. Alanah pulled the cover around her to ward off the chill of early spring. She was going to sleep according to the advice she’d heard in a sermon recently. When you can’t control the situation, and you are overwhelmed, do what Jesus did in the middle of the storm. Sleep. Rest in the rock of all ages, and leave the situation with Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...