Skip to main content

Review: The Mafia Boss and the Christian Girl - For Love and Money #2

The Mafia Boss and the Christian Girl book cover on blue background

In reading the For Love and Money series some time ago, I was curious about the updated version of The Mafia Boss and the Christian Girl being re-released by Nicole Lam this fall.

With revisions to the spiritual content and relationship status between Christina and Antonio, this arranged marriage book offers a glimpse into a world that desperately needs God. It's not for the faint of heart, so don't let the cover have you thinking otherwise!

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: Catholic faith practices; violence, murder, and death; smoking, drinking, and drugs; very mild profanity and lying; references to infidelity, sleeping together, hookups, and explicit materials (other characters, not main characters)

Book Synopsis

A sheltered woman of faith is pulled into the criminal underworld and offered protection through marriage in this clean Christian mafia romance. Slow-burn trust, divided loyalties and redemption tested against everything she believes.

One night was all it took to unravel the life I knew.

I thought my world was simple: work, church, and helping my mother get by. A robbery at the grocery store where I work changes everything—until Antonio Cavalli steps in and saves me. His intervention exposes secrets I was never meant to know and puts me in danger I can’t escape alone.

Antonio is dangerous, controlled, and tied to a world I want nothing to do with. He offers protection through a marriage neither of us planned, binding me to power, loyalty, and a future I never chose.

Trusting him might save my life.

But loving him could cost me everything I believe in.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is the first time I have reviewed Catholic fiction, so I know I'm not doing it full justice on the theological front as a non-Catholic reader. That being said, in reading an earlier version of this book containing more generic Christian content, the scenes involving forgiveness and redemption convey the same spiritual impact. It's a book that brings to mind Luke 7:47 where Jesus says to Simon after being anointed, “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” In this case, Antonio Cavalli is a man who has committed many sins while longing for acceptance by his earthly father. While it is a tumultuous journey for him to finally understand his heavenly Father's unconditional love, it's a moving depiction of how no one is too far gone beyond God's reach.

Christina Martell, on the other hand, is one who has grown up receiving God's gift of salvation, and it shapes how she views herself and others. Her strength is that she fully relies on Jesus, which is needed more than ever once she discovers just how embedded she is within a few criminal rings. Nicole Lam takes readers on quite the road to redemption, adding in many layers of grit and darkness so that when the light pierces through, it's evident that God is the true rescuer and Saviour for this broken world. If you are interested in slightly edgier fiction from a Christian perspective, The Mafia Boss and the Christian Girl is an imaginative story that considers what can happen when God gets a hold of a criminal's heart.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍 if you enjoy edgier Christian fiction and/or looking for a Catholic perspective

Book Quotes

As I grappled with the emotional whiplash that I’d been thrown into, feeling my heart dropped into a blender with a healthy dash of heartache and mistakes, I lifted my head to stare at the cross. To stare at the reminder that Jesus had died for me. That God had loved me enough to send His Son to die for me and free me from the wages of sin. That I was truly loved by a God who wanted me to love Him and know Him in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: June 4, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: US, Canada, and UK residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availability and eligibilit...

All the Cheese

I've been coming across content within the past several weeks that has stereotyped Christian books (and other mediums) as being cheesy on Christian accounts. While this isn't a new label or even a new topic, what has surprised me somewhat has been seeing more Christian authors jump into this conversation who wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Although some authors will name others whom they believe are writing non-cheesy fiction, I feel as though the damage has been done by repeating this blanket statement. While readers have freely been engaging in this type of commentary for some time, it's been interesting to see authors chime in, where in some cases, there seems to be an emphasis on self-promotion over reflection. I'm not stereotyping and saying that all authors or even the authors I'm connected to respond with this tactic (because I really don't think they do!), but there are a few out there from my limited experience who seem to respond to this disc...

Christian vs. Clean

This is a theme that isn't new if you've been following some of my musings over the past several months. You could even say this is the natural progression of taking this line of thinking to its conclusion. In evaluating which books to read, the refrain of Christian vs. clean has become so ingrained in my thinking that it's practically been on repeat for me. To be honest, I've never really held a view on Christian vs. clean books until the end of last year. Most of my reading since becoming a Christian has been all over the place, where I believed that acquiring knowledge, almost any knowledge, was worth it for the sake of becoming more learned. Being a voracious reader meant that I would consume most anything—especially if it was free as I didn't have a lot of books growing up (my parents preferred to take me to the library on a weekly basis as I would have cost them too much in books 😂). However, God has definitely been impressing upon me the conviction that I ca...