Skip to main content

Review: From Ice to Grace - The Heart of a Ranger #2

From Ice to Grace book cover on blue background

It's fun when you can sense a story building in the background of another one, and that's exactly what happens in From Ice to Grace by Ann J. David, the second book in the The Heart of a Ranger series.

It's quite evident that sparks are flying between Declan and Avah in their previous interactions, making this next book a must-read to discover what happens next!

Book Synopsis

He’s one bad hit away from blowing his career. She’s one heartbreak past trusting again.

Declan Murphy: The ice used to be the only place I felt steady—where I could hit hard, keep my head down, and pretend the past wasn’t catching up. But now I’m one bad decision away from losing it all. My spot on the team. My place in the league. My grip on who I’m becoming. And the one person I can’t seem to avoid? Avah Johansson—my best friend’s sister and the woman who sees straight through me. Sparring with her used to be harmless. Safe. But when everything starts to unravel, it’s Avah who ends up in the middle of my mess… in more ways than either of us planned.

Avah Johansson: After my world shattered, I ran to New York for a fresh start. I didn’t expect to find myself stuck in emotional limbo—or spending half my time snapping at one of my brother’s teammates just to feel something again. Declan Murphy is loud, infuriating, and everything I swore I didn’t want. But when circumstances force us into a marriage of convenience, I begin to wonder if God’s using the most unlikely person to bring me back to the healing I’ve been avoiding.

Now, stuck between pretend and something real, we’re facing more than just a fake marriage—we’re facing the truth. About pain. About forgiveness. And maybe… about grace we both still need to find.

Source: Author's Website

Book Thoughts

If you’ve read From Ice to Home, you’ll recognize Declan as Lucas’ teammate on the New York Rangers and Avah as the sister to EJ, another Ranger. Though this book can be read as a standalone, Declan and Avah's interactions in the previous book in the series are not to be missed. From innocent zingers to deeper barbs, their relationship starts a little earlier than in this book, making me quite excited to get to read their story. Their tempestuous interactions result in more to the story and I love how Ann J. David fleshed out their characters and circumstances so that it took on further twists than I expected.

There is a lot packed into this book involving how God works in their lives to turn them from constantly insulting one another to sacrificially loving one another; prepare yourselves for quite the journey! If anything, this book speaks to how we are not beyond God's redemption and love. It imparts biblical truth head-on, without shying away from the consequences of how our lives can turn out when we wrest control away from Him. Readers who enjoy grittier Christian fiction will find this enemies to more hockey romance a glimmer of what it looks like to move from being at enmity with God to amity between us and Him as a result of what Christ has done for us.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

Somehow I’ve made it through this week without losing it. I’ve been calm, like God is steadying my heart. Hannah gives me an encouraging smile. “My mom always tells me that the Holy Spirit is a gentleman. He’ll nudge you, remind you, give you wisdom but He never forces you. He never leaves you with guilt or shame, or manipulates you. He loves you, and He wants what’s best for you.” For almost a year, I’ve allowed myself to forget that God is the only One who can settle my heart. Scripture says that the enemy deceives. And the cruelest part of it is you don’t even know you’re being deceived. Thanks to God’s grace, He opened my eyes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Speed and Comprehension

The topic of reading speed came up in a conversation I had at church when there was a discussion about how many books people can read in a year. I confess that there are many books I listen to rather quickly just to get through it; however, most of the time, I do want to savour what I'm reading or listening to. With physical books, it's a little harder for me to speed through, and if I start skimming quite heavily, I'll know that it's not the book for me. I've also realized that while I enjoy listening to Christian non-fiction when I'm doing chores, I don't necessarily retain every detail. My comprehension is strongest when I'm doing things that don't require much thought, but the moment I start multi-tasking, something will usually give. It's getting to the point where I've observed that it's hard for me to pay attention to people talking to me for long periods of time as my brain goes into auto-pilot as if they're an audiobook! To c...