Skip to main content

Review: Her Off-Limits Charity Date - Unexpected Dates #3

Her Off-Limits Charity Date book cover on blue background

Happy release day to the third book in the Unexpected Dates series!

Her Off-Limits Charity Date by Liwen Y. Ho is a perfect book for summer, and involves a soft-hearted zombie actor with a penchant for cooking. Now who doesn't want to learn more about a man who can do both?!

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

The one man I’m falling for is the one man I absolutely shouldn’t want.

As a professional event planner, I’m used to managing chaos. My own love life, however, is another story. Especially after I meet my brother’s new brother-in-law and discover he looks like he walked straight out of a romance novel.

Tall? Check.

Piercing blue eyes? Check.

Broody enough to make my heart do inconvenient things? Double check.

Unfortunately, Zane Beckett also happens to be a famous actor. And our first meeting gets off to a rocky start when he finds out I’ve never seen any of his movies.

Sorry! (Not sorry!)

In my defense, he stars in zombie films, and I’m a world-class scaredy-cat. But the more I get to know the man behind the pasty make-up, the more I realize he’s a soft-hearted single dad who’d do anything for his teenage daughter. Including being auctioned off at a charity fundraiser when dating is the last thing on his mind. But while other women will be bidding for a chance to spend time with him, I get the VIP experience for free. Soon we're sharing laughs, lingering glances, and enough chemistry to make me forget that falling for him was not on my to-do list.

Until my boss offers me the promotion I’ve always wanted. There’s just one catch: she's decided Zane is exactly the kind of man she wants, and she expects me to play matchmaker.

How am I supposed to choose between the career of my dreams and the man who’s captured my heart?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Whoever said zombies didn't have emotions? This is a sweet celebrity romance that combines hilarious puns and bookish references. Add to this mix a matchmaking sister who does know better along with teen angst and you can see exactly why Hadley is needed and why she becomes smitten. I appreciate that there is an abundance of cautious communication, especially as Zane and Hadley are older and more hearts are at risk. At the same time, once they commit, it is refreshing to see how they approach decision-making with a balance between faith and reason.

The Unexpected Dates series has been a lovely romcom series that is gentle, witty, and fun. Seeing friends support one another through stories and relationships provides Hadley the encouragement she needs to see that God has good things in store for her outside of her books. While Zane is a regular zombie version of Mr. Darcy, the real star is Hadley as she grows in her confidence and identity as a beloved child of God. If you are looking for a love story where the right match is just around the corner, Zane and Hadley will have you smiling and wanting to grab some popcorn as you enjoy their heartfelt romance.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

“To be clear, I don’t pity you,” I emphasize with a shake of my head. “That was a look of respect and admiration mixed with a tiny bit of sadness. I appreciate how mature you are. You’re like a living, breathing embodiment of those verses in James that talk about counting it all joy when we face trials. I, on the other hand, am someone who never prays for patience because I know God will put me in a situation where I’ll need it.” He scoffs. “I never thought of it working like that, but now that you mention it, there is some logic to that theory.” “Right?! It took some trial and error to figure out, but I never let my mistakes go to waste; I learn from them.”

Comments

  1. Aww, this is the best review! I feel like you really understood what I wanted to convey through the story. Yay! :) Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I'm so appreciative of your support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I loved getting to escape to a world of puns and popcorn through your story. Zane and Hadley were delightful to meet :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...