Skip to main content

Review: The Vanished - Secrets to Keep #1

The Vanished book cover on blue background

Did I read the entire Secrets to Keep series this past weekend in time for the release of book three? Yes, and it was such a wonderful way to dive into the world of legal drama and a group of friends who are there for each other through difficult and even life-threatening circumstances.

The Vanished by Cara Putman is the first book in this series, spanning history and continents due to the lucrative dealings around prominent artwork. I knew I loved legal suspense before, but this series really catapulted my enjoyment of this genre even further!

Book Synopsis

Janae Simmons left the small town of Kedgewick, Virginia, ten years ago to pursue her legal career and never looked back—until a professional mistake leads her to her grandmother's historic carriage house and to the town where her past threatens to find her. The quiet streets echo with her grandfather's sterling reputation, one that conflicts with fresh questions that claw at Janae, launching her on a reluctant journey to unearth his secrets. When her new job at a local law firm doesn't live up to expectations, she wonders if coming home was the right decision.

Carter Montgomery starts his art preservation career with the only job he can get―director at the Elliott Museum of Art. At least Kedgewick is a nice enough town to provide him and his nephew with a safe place to grieve the loss of Carter's sister. But Carter's calm days disappear when an elderly woman claims two paintings in the museum's collection were stolen from her family during World War II.

Carter enlists Janae's help to unravel the legal labyrinth of art ownership, and the peaceful facade of Kedgewick morphs into a hot bed of secrets. When an attorney turns up dead and Janae uncovers another painting, what began as a simple legal issue spirals into a race against time. As the web of intrigue tightens, the duo must confront a looming question: What dark truths lie beneath the surface, waiting to be exposed?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is a legal suspense that will keep you fixated until the end of the book to discover how everything wraps up. There is a lot that is happening and keeps happening, so your heart really goes out to Janae Simmons and Carter Montgomery, who continually face mounting problems in their professional and personal lives without much resolution. Involving stolen art from the Second World War and lawsuits, this book will satisfy readers who enjoy all of the intricacies of the legal system when it comes to international dealings.

It's a rush to discover who knows what as the pieces of the puzzle shift and morph into other pieces, especially as Janae and Carter seek to do what is legally and ethically right. This premise is well worth reading the book, making both characters even more admirable in their desire to live out justice in a godly way. Discovering that there is a prequel to this book will likely provide even more context, making it a story to become invested in. Readers who are intrigued by how stolen art can be reunited with its rightful owners will appreciate the legal nuances in this fascinating look into the art world.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

Father, what do you want for my life? She didn't hear an immediate answer, but she kept her mind quiet as she walked closer to the fence. She'd learned that God might not be an audible voice telling her to go this way or that, but when she invited him to have input in her life, he had a way of directing her steps. She believed he'd nudged her home, but now she'd have to be patient to see what that meant. It didn't mean life wouldn't be complicated or filled with twists, but if he walked with her, she would be all right.

It felt like a secret garden whenever she slipped inside it. There was a sacredness to it. Something special that made it a place to exhale and feel her blood pressure lower. She sank onto the closest chair and closed her eyes for a minute. She needed the kind of wisdom that came straight from heaven, because this was not a situation she could purely logic her way out of. It would be so much easier if she could. Instead, she asked God into the process. He could untangle a mess that she didn't know how to start addressing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...