Skip to main content

Review: The Targeted - Secrets to Keep #3

The Targeted book cover on blue background

I am so grateful that I was able to read the previous books in the Secrets to Keep series in time for the release of The Targeted by Cara Putman.

There isn't enough room to convey just how courageous Chloe is in sharing her story of past abuse and the ramifications it has on her life. It's a book that sensitively portrays this reality without glossing over it, and for those interested, the author's note explains how she desired to address this subject with "grace and dignity" with the help of someone who comes from this experience.

I believe it's a must-read for anyone who cares about victim support and wants to do everything possible to protect the most vulnerable.

Many thanks to Kregel Publications for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: SA

Book Synopsis

Can she protect her gym students before her past catches up?

When Chloe Ainsworth's older sister reappears after fourteen years, she brings with her the news that Chloe's abuser is back in town. Chloe is a coach at her childhood gym and fiercely protective of her young gymnasts. She won't allow them to suffer the way she did, but she's desperate for an ally―one who can help her make her case.

Law student Dare Shepherd works at the local legal clinic, where he meets Chloe and hears her out. He believes her case but can't get the clinic director on board. As he learns more about her story, he finds himself bound by a deepening personal care for Chloe.

They band together in search of answers, and suddenly the stakes skyrocket. It’s clear they're onto something, but will they be able to find the answers before it's too late?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

After following a trio of friends who meet as gymnasts at a young age in the series' previous books, it's paralegal Chloe Ainsworth who pulls the trigger in bringing their former coach to justice for the abuse he has inflicted on them and potentially others. Paying respect to the real life experiences of Rachael Denhollander and other survivors, this is a brave story that exposes evil and reveals the high cost of naming abusers. This is not an easy read but it's a necessary one that cautions families about the need for safe sporting environments. As Chloe does everything in her power to protect the next generation of gymnasts, she is joined by law student Dare Shepherd who supports her and in turn, falls for her spirit and heart for these young girls.

The Targeted is a fitting conclusion to this series about women who have unfortunately suffered the devastating consequences of a dangerous coach, but who have been able to enter the legal profession with the hope of making it right for others. The author provides a stunning layer of details that keeps the story moving, allowing us to see what resources are available to the survivors in their quest for justice and truth. Readers who enjoy Christian legal dramas will find this series and book to be memorable and gratifying reminders of how God is a just God who cares for His children, especially during humanity's darkest moments.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

Chloe deserved his full attention. Doing so would be the first step in earning her trust. He also knew that would be a tricky balancing act with his upcoming final exams. He’d have to find a way to get the other students in the clinic to bear some of the burden, which risked her trust.... Yes, it would be a thorny balancing act, but not impossible. He took some time to pray for wisdom and insight. One thing he was learning the hard way was that if he barged through situations like this on his own, he would make a mess of it. His wisdom had limits. He had to invite the One who knew everything into the middle of his days and challenges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...