Skip to main content

Review: The Accused - Secrets to Keep #2

The Accused book cover on blue background

The next book in the Secrets to Keep series, The Accused by Cara Putman takes things up a notch by taking on the case of a woman who is alone, far from family and friends, and only has one person so far who believes in her innocence. It's a riveting Christian legal suspense that brings out the true character of the people in the story.

Book Synopsis

When a popular college student is murdered, her international roommate, Anneliese, becomes a prime suspect. But law professor Margeaux Robbins doesn't believe that the quiet, lonely German girl in her class is the killer.

Chase Crandall is a burned-out defense attorney ready to extricate himself from the grind of criminal law. After he loses a client to tragedy, he's ready for an in-house corporate position.

When Chase is assigned to Anneliese's case, Margeaux is horrified. She doesn’t want him to provide legal counsel―not after what happened to his past client. And not with the evidence incriminating Anneliese.

Despite their mutual misgivings, the lawyer and professor pair up to find the killer and prove Anneliese's innocence. Will they be able to untangle the mystery―and navigate their growing interest in one another―before the wrong person is charged with murder?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Things go from bad to worse for Professor Margeaux Robbins when she finds herself trying to support an international student who is accused of murdering her college roommate. Throw in a dizzying set of circumstances that don't add up and a criminal defense attorney who creates a less-than-stellar first impression and it quickly becomes a lot for Margeaux to handle. I love that this book delves into the twin arenas of academia and the field, comparing and contrasting Margeaux and Chase Crandall's work. While at times theory and practice naturally appear to be at odds with one another, it's a delicate dance of how both can complement each other.

Filled with a drive toward uncovering truth and doing the right thing, it's delightful to see how Margeaux and Chase have to work together and as a result, discover just how well they fit together. Their faith that God will bring all things into the light and that He will lead them as the pieces of the case slowly form a picture demonstrate how two are better than one when approaching life. If you enjoy suspense that keeps you up at night, The Accused takes a closer look at the law from different facets and brings you along on a case where what is convenient can also be used to mask what's wrong underneath.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

"Sometimes you have to do what's right even when it could cost you everything." "She stepped closer. "Even for a stranger." "Even so." His answer was steady and sure—a superhero in plain clothes.

Father, help me. God should never be her last resort, yet he often was. She needed to work on that. As her lungs finally began to loosen, she prayed the words again on a slow exhale. Slowly she sensed his peace flowing into her, reminding her that even when she forgot to turn to him first, he was still working and waiting for her to remember. She was never built to be an island. And even if she was alone, she wasn't ever alone. I do remember, Father. Help me lean into you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...