Skip to main content

Review: Risky Business - Hearts on Display #3

Risky Business book cover on blue background

I've been curious about Kimberly Keagan's books for some time, so I was delighted to see her name pop up on LibraryThing! The premise of Risky Business sounded so interesting that I didn't hesitate to request this title. This English aristocracy tale takes us across the pond and touches on caregiving and found families in a loving and sensitive manner.

Many thanks to the author and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

An American heiress. A British barrister with a need for speed. And a London season destined for trouble.

The last thing department store heiress Lena Dennison wants is to travel to London to meet the grandmother who snubbed her family for thirty years. But her youngest sister begs to go, and soon Lena is navigating British nobility’s social expectations—with Bron Jeffers, a handsome barrister and celebrated motorcar racer, assigned as her escort. When a string of mysterious incidents threatens Bron’s family, Lena is pulled into his world as his unlikely ally … and the one woman he can’t charm—or ignore.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a lovely introduction to level-headed Lena and daredevil Bron. This sweet story between an heiress and the “Merry Barrister” as he's known demonstrates what happens when being a caregiver becomes an identity that keeps others out. Thankfully, there are many around Lena who encourage her that she can let go of her family members to allow them to flourish on their own. This tightly-wrung control is exhibited in Bron's life as well through his need for speed, revealing what happens when we don't want to surrender ourselves to God. I love that these characters are written as opposites but are, in reality, two sides of the same coin.

Starting off with a slow burn, the pace of the book really picks up near the end. It's the third title in a series but can be read as a standalone, with some interesting what-ifs in the epilogue. I appreciate that there is a loving and healthy stepmother-stepfamily relationship, and that there are stirring messages around heartbreak and sibling dynamics. Readers looking for a sweet story about family surprises and unexpected love will find Risky Business to be a gentle reminder that surrendering plans and dreams to God is always worth the risk.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...