Skip to main content

Review: The Rules of Falling for You

The Rules of Falling for You book cover on blue background

Jane Austen Fan Fiction is nearly always at the top of my to-read list, so I appreciate that I was able to read a contemporary Christian novel that combined a dose of reality television (or podcasting) with an immersive Regency retreat. The Rules of Falling for You by Mollie Rushmeyer is a zany and loveable adventure into an ardent Austenite world that will make you laugh along.

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

Podcaster Zoe Dufour dreams of finding love—why not at a Regency-themed singles retreat? With her best friend's brother and podcast producer Harrison Lundquist in tow, Zoe realizes her checklist for the perfect match is leading her astray. Will she be willing to rewrite the rules and take a chance on the person who has been there all along?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I fully acknowledge that I am the right audience for this book and that I had a rollicking good time reading it while indulging in all things Jane Austen. Other Janeites will appreciate the literary references while seeing the main characters live out their own Regency adventure. In meeting Zoe, a popular podcaster who seeks to accomplish thirty Regency-themed tasks before her thirtieth birthday, we are treated to a whole host of fun while learning how certain medical conditions affect her and her family. Harrison, on the other hand, is the producer who is reluctantly cast into an Austenesque world and brings a dose of reality with him. Together, their scenes steal the show, especially given Zoe’s propensity toward accidents and clumsiness.

While I nearly smiled throughout every chapter due to how charming the characters were, I was just as touched by the spiritual content in the book. Zoe and Harrison are sensitive to the lessons that God is teaching them, and more importantly, respond in faith based on how they are growing in their walks with God. Even when it is easy to fall into old ruts and patterns of behaviour, there is the recognition that God is at work in their lives and that they need to keep trusting Him. This creates a beautiful love story that extends beyond genteelness and civility to pure devotion and faithful steadfastness. Readers who enjoy a self-aware story about Regency-era fascination will find The Rules of Falling for You to be humorous and romantic as the characters “never love by halves.”

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...