Skip to main content

Review: The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry book cover on blue background

I wasn't planning on share my thoughts on The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer as I had already reviewed Practicing the Way, so thank you to Jocelyn for asking if I would share my thoughts on this title.

Book Synopsis

"Who am I becoming?"

That was the question nagging pastor and author John Mark Comer. Outwardly, he appeared successful. But inwardly, things weren't pretty. So he turned to a trusted mentor for guidance and heard these words:

"Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life. Hurry is the great enemy of the spiritual life."

It wasn't the response he expected, but it was--and continues to be--the answer he needs. Too often we treat the symptoms of toxicity in our modern world instead of trying to pinpoint the cause. A growing number of voices are pointing at hurry, or busyness, as a root of much evil.

Within the pages of this book, you'll find a fascinating roadmap to staying emotionally healthy and spiritually alive in the chaos of the modern world.

Source: Goodreads

Book Thoughts

I only read this book as I thought I would give this author another chance. Unfortunately, this book ended up being more of the same, so while I give the author credit for consistency, it was also my fault for expecting something different. I'm not sure why referencing Buddhism (and not in a comparative manner) needs to be included in a Christian book, so that drove me away from this style of writing, combined with numerous other factors that grated me the wrong way. It felt as though John Mark Comer's tendency to quote from countless other authors―most of whom I wouldn't read―detracted from his own thoughts and from fully offering a biblical perspective. The book was almost a mixture between reading his personal quote collection and his journal, which came across a little tone-deaf when the examples given seemed to come from a place of privilege that was not relatable to me as an average reader. I'd like to think the author was attempting to give off an air of insouciance, but it was difficult to endure.

If I had to pick one thing I liked from The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry, it might have been his perspective on Christians and possessions, but by that point, I just wanted to finish the book. I would also rather read more about that topic from other authors I actually enjoy. I recognize that his books are highly rated, so being in the minority, I don't expect many to hold a similar opinion to me. If anything, his writing revealed to me just how divergent I am from the views and teachings of contemplative spirituality including the Rule of Life (no, thank you). Quite frankly, using catchphrases and pop culture became old when there was little to balance it out. As much as other Christians have had their lives changed by this book, I was simply in a hurry to complete it and move on.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 🎧
  • Rating: ⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👎 unless you like this author and enjoy his style of writing or Christian teaching

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...