Skip to main content

Review: Unhurried

Unhurried book cover on blue background

One of the Christian Bookstagrammers whom I love following is Brandi Davis (@becomingbookbybook). Not only does she share great Christian books, but she has the neatest job in doing the beautiful interior design inside these books. That's how I first heard about Unhurried: An Invitation to Slow Down, Create Margin, and Surrender Control to God by Samantha Decker, which I can verify is both lovely in its content and in how it's laid out.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Experience the joy of slowing down, creating margin, and surrendering control to God.

This book is an invitation to rest, create space, and join God in the work He’s doing.

This is the story of a God who knows how to rest. A God who has everything under control. A God who gave His only Son to save us from our sins and the bondage they bring. In Christ, there is freedom from striving, busyness, and hurry. Are you ready to take off these weights and follow Jesus?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Is it ironic if I admit to hurrying through this book in a sense, only because it was so good that I devoured its content? I truly enjoyed how well Samantha Decker addressed the issues with hurrying, why it was important to slow down to create space for God, and how to go about doing so. This was a theologically sound and compelling call for taking the time to be still and know that He is God in the midst of our busyness. The illustrations were relatable, and the section on application was simple enough that I can already envision how to incorporate some of the teachings offered in the book.

What made Unhurried stand out to me was the recognition that its readers may be coming from diverse schedules and seasons in life. I can't recall coming across too many Christian books directed at women that acknowledge those who work full-time rather than staying at home with their families, so I found this to be rather refreshing to encounter. As such, I appreciated that the analogies and stories weren't specific to only a limited group of people and would heartily recommend this book to any Christian who is struggling with slowing down. Readers seeking an eternal perspective on time and how best to fill their days will gain immense value through this book in learning when to wait on God and when to act urgently for His kingdom.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...