Skip to main content

Review: Introducing Christianity to Mormons

Introducing Christianity to Mormons book cover on blue background

In reading books on comparative religious systems, I am struck by how necessary it is to clearly define terminology and theological concepts to avoid any misunderstandings. It is far too easy to believe that words have the same meaning when that is not the case at all.

Any more than a cursory glance between biblical, historic Christianity and the beliefs of adherents to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will make it clear that using the same terms does not equate to them referencing the same things. Introducing Christianity to Mormons by Eric Johnson is an excellent resource for Christians that breaks down all of these stark differences.

Note: The author has shared that the now-preferred full name of the LDS church is quite lengthy and cumbersome to repeat within the content, which is why the title is imperfect but the one that makes the most sense. Though "Mormon" appears to have now fallen out of favour—which seems to be quite a shift from their previous “I am Mormon” campaign and remains the name of one of their books—for the purposes of this review, the term LDS will be employed for readability.

Book Synopsis

Share Jesus with Your LDS Friends and Family

One of our greatest challenges as Christians is sharing the truth with those who believe they’ve already found it. When witnessing to current or former members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it’s essential that you can compassionately delineate biblical teachings from Mormon doctrine while tactfully advocating for Christ. For every believer who prays for loved ones in the LDS Church―or loved ones who gave up on religion after leaving Mormonism―Introducing Christianity to Mormons is the guidebook you need to witness to them. Inside, you’ll find real-life conversations that give you helpful ideas for what to say in your discussions, contrast points between Mormonism and Christianity that illuminate God’s truth, [and] biblical apologetics that allow you to minister to former LDS members wounded by their experience with the Church. Get ready to present the case for Christianity with confidence and grace. This book will empower you to share your faith and give you the language to do so effectively with people in the Mormon community.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This was a book that I had the opportunity to receive from the author, making it an even more meaningful examination into the truth claims of Christianity, especially when coupled with witnessing up close some of the artifacts described in the book. I appreciated how well Christianity was laid out, contrasting it with the beliefs of the LDS faith. For anyone believing that there are only slight theological variations between biblical, historic Christianity and the LDS religion, this book spells out the major differences between the two systems through clear charts, accompanied with Bible verses and verses from LDS texts. This book is rife with citations and does not shy away from loading it with as many firsthand sources as possible, including a thorough index that readers can return to again at a later date. For that reason alone, I would reference this book when sharing the Gospel or providing further information for people seeking to investigate the claims of Christianity.

That being said, this book seeks to address a few audiences at once, such as Christians wanting to better understand theological differences if they are unfamiliar with the LDS religion, Christians wanting to share the Christian faith with LDS contacts, and even former LDS members who may be seeking additional information on the Christian faith. While I wouldn't be able to speak to how the last group would receive this content, I found Eric Johnson’s book to be particularly helpful for Christians. His heart for the LDS community is evident, and it is in this spirit of love and compassion that he has written such an important discourse on the primary fundamentals of the Christian faith. It is absolutely critical that Bible-believing Christians take the time to understand the truth claims out there, and even to examine the definitions of how each group defines key words. Christian readers wanting a solid understanding of their faith will appreciate this book as a guide to comparative theological beliefs between Christianity and the LDS religion.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...