Skip to main content

Review: The Juliet Code - A Freddie and Grace Mystery #3


What a joy to continue with another Freddie and Grace Mystery, especially as the title, the cover, and the synopsis were all so compelling! The Juliet Code by Pepper Basham lives up to all of the mystery promised, along with plenty of swooniness along the way.

Many thanks to Barbour Books and NetGalley for providing a copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: mentions of ghosts

Book Synopsis

Frederick and Grace Percy finally make it to Italy to enjoy a delayed honeymoon and explore the beauties of the historic city of Venice. To their surprise, their friend, Detective Jack Miracle, is also in the city, investigating a series of art heists starting at the house of eccentric millionaire, Laraby Covington. Drawn into a world of boat races, mysterious houses, and parties of the rich and unusual in Venice, Frederick and Grace learn of the existence of the Juliet paintings, Renaissance paintings featuring Shakespeare’s tragic heroine, rumored to hold a secret code to an underground vault of similarly treasured artwork assumed lost over the centuries.

As Freddie and Grace are pulled deeper into the mystery and their beloved Detective Jack disappears, can they use their wits and work as a team to find the thieves and Jack before it’s too late?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Two things always enchant me when it comes to Freddie and Grace: marriage and mysteries. I love that the Percys are such a sweet couple whose heart and innocence quickly win everyone over, no matter where they travel. Paired with the misadventures that befalls them, readers are taken along for a ride with the best chaperones. Adding in the elements of mysteries and crime-solving, the way each one is approached is positively delightful. The Juliet Code is the ideal setting if envisioning an episode of Poirot being played out, complete with a mysterious cast of characters, an island of dubious origin, and a plot that continues to untangle as Freddie and Grace get to its heart. Along with Detective Jack Miracle and his sleuthing tips, I enjoyed this riveting story about stolen art and lost family legacies.

I appreciate how much Freddie and Grace relied on their faith in this book, especially as they were traipsing into unknown territory. Pepper Basham's stories about a married couple are refreshing and lovely, notably the idea of Freddie and Grace working together as detectives. I love the spiritual lessons that Freddie encounters in this book, making him an even more endearing character. As usual, Grace’s characteristic optimism points to the hope that she has in the Lord, especially when demonstrated through her whimsical and literary nature. If you’re looking for a European whodunit where hijinks are aplenty and the Christian faith is woven through a married couple’s relationship with each other and all those around them, these mysteries are the ultimate foray into a cozy escape.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...