Skip to main content

Review: Breathing Statues

Breathing Statues book cover on blue background

Growing up, some of my favourite poets were Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and John Donne. Though it's been years since I've revisited their words, I am most appreciative of the opportunity to be able to immerse myself in poetry once more through both words and artwork in Breathing Statues by Lyndi Brey.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

In her book Breathing Statues, Lyndi Brey extrapolates the relationship between mental illness and faith. The collection of poems exhibited in Breathing Statues captures a unique and creative representation of mental health and faith- gathered from firsthand experience. Her poems- which speak of (dis)order and chaos- are skillfully actualized in illustrations and color. By the end of her book, you will understand not just what it looks like, but what it feels like to have an anxiety disorder.

Lyndi says, "The title Breathing Statues originated from the idea that we are all masterpieces: statues shaped by the hand of God, given the breath of life." While also familiar with breathing exercises taught in therapy, Lyndi Brey believes breathing is a simple yet sacred practice often ignored altogether by mental illnesses. Her prayer is to show the delicacy of humanity, the divinity of God, and the struggle of disorder.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

If you're looking for an experience where poetry can visually take you away to the story of the Gospel while in the midst of darkness, this volume will transport your mind and heart into an imaginative space where words and pictures tell a compelling story. The power of poetry is embodied in this beautiful offering by poet and artist Lyndi Brey, connecting faith to mental health and exploring how God enters into our struggles. Everything is constructed with intentionality and meaning, providing uplifting sensations without glossing over deep realities.

This is a book that is worth revisiting, simply for the sheer simplicity of its message, which leaves a profound impression. Included with the stunning poetry are practical resources, making this poetry a wonderful gift to pass along. Not only does entering the footsteps of the storyteller invoke empathy, but it also tangibly connects to our own emotional state before God. If you want to see how God cares for us in our trials, Breathing Statues is a breath of fresh air for those of us yearning for His presence, majesty, and strength.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...