Skip to main content

Review: The Lost Daughter's Irishman - Our House on Sycamore Street #12

The Lost Daughter's Irishman book cover on blue background

What a fun title to say! The Lost Daughter's Irishman by Carolyn Miller releases on October 11, 2024 and has been a great introduction to the Our House on Sycamore Street series for me.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

She wants to find a way to live again; he wants to close a deal and move on. Until sparks fly and these opposites attract in this contemporary romance filled with heart and humour.

For Kara Browne, hiding out in Eden Cove provides a chance to heal after her life fell apart. Now, without a family or career, she juggles jobs while trying to find her feet again, thankful for this tiny community that has taken her to their heart. When a handsome Irishman appears in Eden Cove with his plans to take over the local luxury hotel where she works, his obvious wealth combined with a series of unfortunate events convince her that they’re worlds apart. Which they soon will be, seeing she’s already booked her ticket to the other side of the planet.

For Colin Fairall, his time in Eden Cove was supposed to be about closing a deal on a hotel to add to his family’s portfolio. He didn’t expect to become intrigued by a snarky barista who moonlights as a hotel cleaner and a barmaid, who obviously doesn’t care about his money or connections. He recognizes that she’s been bruised by life and wants to help her smile again. But despite shared faith and a fondness for 80s music trivia, Kara has plans for a fresh start on the other side of the world – unless he can convince her to trust him with her heart…

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This insta-love story is a charming Sycamore Street introduction to Kara and Colin, who find themselves with a less than stellar beginning. Despite their first impressions, a sweet love starts to blossom and it is easy to root for them to truly open up to each other. The surrounding characters are lovely, protective, and everything that embodies a Christian community that cares for its neighbours. I appreciated the kindness that emanated from so many townspeople, making Eden Cove a gem of a setting.

The spiritual themes of trusting in God and walking in love over fear gradually develop over time and it is especially gratifying to witness spiritual growth. Colin and his family are sweethearts and their deep love for one another makes me want to keep reading on. Readers looking for an escape to this idyllic street where the neighbours look out for each other and even perform a little bit of matchmaking will like getting to meet Kara and Colin as they look to God to overcome their present circumstances.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...