Skip to main content

The Greatest of These

book pages folded into heart shape while sitting beside another book on table

I love how God speaks to us through the Bible and the preaching of His Word. I recently heard a sermon at church and was reminded of the importance of 1 Corinthians 13:13 which says, "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

There were three lessons that came to mind the more I dwelt on this topic:
  1. I am very quick to forget that God is love (1 John 4:16b).
  2. I misplace love by focusing on what I love rather than who I love.
  3. Nothing I do is of value if there is no love.
As a fallen human being, I am incredibly guilty of all of these things. In forgetting that God is love, I tend to do this most by reducing love to an abstraction or a concept. Translating that God is love from head knowledge to an actual practice in my life is a challenge when I don't always feel that love or reflect on what the immensity of it means. While I know it as intrinsic truth, I have a harder time seeing this extend to my behaviour and actions. Love is often secondary in how I approach life, and thus, I make the mistake of taking my task-oriented personality and placing it on God, when that should not be the case at all.

Furthermore, I recognize how easily I misplace or misattribute love to the wrong things. There's the saying about how we should love people and use things, but I think our proclivity is to use people and love things. This has been so evident to me the more time I spend online because I can see how much I fall into this trap. At the same time, this is also very true of me in real life where I take people for granted because I'm so fixated on things. It's awful and I do feel badly about it; however, it can also be a difficult habit to break.

Finally, at the end of the day, I can keep on doing everything that I'm doing, but it could all be in vain if my heart is not right with God and if I'm not loving Him while I do it. Even if my brain tends to veer toward logic over emotion, I can't dismiss the reality that other people have feelings and that I need to be considerate of them. I like to think that I can bring great passion to the things I'm doing, but more than likely, a lot of it might be rote exercise without much meaning or regard. It takes more effort to think about love as the driving force rather than just checking things off a list, like when it comes to prayer or Bible reading.

In recognizing these struggles within me, I can also identify how this affects and skews my perspective as a reader. It's sad, but I can see the following things pop up:
  • Focusing more on the books than the authors.
  • Searching for typos and grammatical mistakes over the heart of the story.
  • Taking for granted that there will always be new books to read.
  • Assuming that authors are always available to write more and at the speed I want.
  • Nitpicking the minutest details in a book that in the overall scheme of things, don't mean much.
  • Not praying for authors and the struggles they're going through.
  • Not being loving enough in my online presence (and in real life, obviously!).
  • Spending more time and resources on books than people.
  • Judging other readers by the books they read.
  • Being more concerned about posting content than in being a friend.
I don't necessarily want to dwell on all the ways I can and have sinned, especially as a book reviewer; however, I feel it's necessary to bring everything back to what matters. Am I reflecting God's love in who I am, what I do, and how I go about life? Can others sense that God's love is what motivates me?

These are questions I know will take a lifetime to answer, but they're a powerful reminder for me that my lifetime could be much shorter than anticipated. My prayer is that even if I have made mistakes in my content, conduct, or something else in my time on these platforms that I can repent and do better going forward. I don't want Christian Shelves to be synonymous with being "correct" but unloving. It's more important that I'm pointing everything toward Jesus and His great love for us, so please pray for me to be able to do that. I can't do this alone and certainly not without God's strength, so thank you.

In case I haven't shared it before, I do love the people I've had the opportunity to interact with. I love hearing about people's lives, both authors and readers. And I love that we have the same heart for sharing books that speak of Jesus. I might not always have the time to do everything I want with these platforms, but I hope there is enough love emanating from the words I write. What a blessing to get to be a part of this work for God's kingdom purposes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Good Gift of Weakness

I am so glad that the author reached out to me about this upcoming release as it was exactly the book that I needed to read in this season of my life. Many thanks to Harvest House Publishers and Eric Schumacher  for providing a complimentary copy of The Good Gift of Weakness: God's Strength Made Perfect in the Story of Redemption  for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis This overview of the theme of weakness in the Bible offers readers practical encouragement and hope as they learn to view their frailties as part of God’s plan and purpose for their lives. Our culture deifies strength―and sadly, the church does too. Who has the most successful ministry, the largest congregation, or the godliest family? Our misplaced faith in human strength is a false hope with no basis in Scripture. But a closer look throughout the Bible reveals the central role human frailty plays in the redemption story. From Genesis to Revelation, God’s power is made perfect when people

Review: Cole and Laila are Just Friends

This is a disclaimer that although this book is published by a Christian publisher, this book falls along the lines of clean fiction, so expectations should be set accordingly. I shared the following when I reviewed Brynn and Sebastian Hate Each Other , and as this book follows that book, I'll adopt the same refrain again: This is more of a crossover title that fits the genre of what the author terms "pop culture-infused rom coms." That being said, while this book does not reference faith either explicitly or implicitly (faith on the whole absent is in this book), it does fit the bill for those looking for a fun and clean read. As such, I will be reviewing it strictly as a rom com. Many thanks to  Thomas Nelson  and  NetGalley  for providing a complimentary copy of  Cole and Laila are Just Friends  by  Bethany Turner  for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : There are a lot of pop culture references in this book, if not more than in the

Review: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Christmas in Garland Collection #3

As I've been reading the Christmas in Garland series , I've discovered that A.M. Heath is not afraid to tackle uncomfortable subjects in her books, making them relatable and realistic. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a special story set at Christmastime that is even more meaningful with the impending birth of a baby. Book Synopsis Can a cozy inn at Christmas transform the troubled hearts seeking refuge there? Pregnant and alone, Alissa Hill moved to Garland, Tennessee to help at her aunt’s inn. When a guest brings her hidden past to the inn’s door, she must decide whether to face it or continue to run. A career-ending injury ruined Stephen Powell’s life plans. Now a former NFL kicker, he’s searching for a new purpose while recovering at the Cheery Inn. But those at the inn may offer him so much more than he expects. Sparks fly the moment Alissa and Stephen meet, but secrets and regrets may keep them apart unless they can learn to forgive and move beyond their brokenness. Sour