Skip to main content

Review: Project Scrooge - Christmas in Garland Collection #1

Project Scrooge book cover on blue background

Bah humbug does not describe Project Scrooge by A.M. Heath at all, other than when we first meet Sanford Stone. Otherwise, this first book in the Christmas in Garland series is a lovely book that honours Christmas in the heart by pointing to Jesus first and foremost.

Book Synopsis

Can Scrooge find love from a friendship gone cold?

Sanford Stone cut ties with his best friend, Natalie, in favor of the love of his life … a woman who ended up walking out on him just before Christmas. Six years later, Sanford can’t bring himself to celebrate Christ’s birth with any joy. Little does he know, his grandmother and her companions have dubbed him the Scrooge and intend to help him overcome his bitterness and find happiness again.

The only thing that has hurt Natalie Dunivan more than Sanford cutting her out of his life has been watching his long-held grudges slowly destroy the man she has always loved. Together with Ms. Carol, Natalie devises a plan to reach out to Sanford.

Sanford accepts his grandmother’s challenge to celebrate Christmas for 31 straight days, but he didn’t count on her plan involving Natalie. Can his family and friends help their Scrooge see the error of his ways, or will Natalie’s presence only make things worse?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a delightful and deep take on A Christmas Carol! A.M. Heath presents a story that is as much heartwarming as it is convicting. The themes of forgiveness and mercy resound throughout this Christmas in Garland novella, helping readers to understand what it means to truly forgive others out of obedience to Jesus. Sanford and Natalie's story exemplifies God's grace and patience with us, bringing the meaning of faithfulness to life. I enjoyed the literary references, along with the spiritual lessons sprinkled throughout. This was a book that not only entertained me but also encouraged me in my walk with God to examine my own heart.

I love that Natalie exhibits selflessness and sacrificial love when it is not easy. It's a very tender story where the grumpy/sunshine trope exists but does not overshadow the story. My favourite discovery about this book was that the author employed a spiritual content editor, which blew me away. To know that there is such care and concern over communicating spiritual content correctly makes me a fan. If readers want a quick Christmas book that is wonderfully redemptive, Project Scrooge offers a glimpse of hope in a broken heart.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th

Wedding Scenes

I've had the pleasure of reading some lovely wedding scenes lately and it had me thinking about books that choose to include them. In noticing that a lot of the romances I read tend to end with either the couple finally confirming their relationship or possibly an engagement if there is an epilogue, I'm usually left wanting to know what the wedding will look like. If there happens to be any wedding scene, it may be from the perspective of a character in the next book in the series, such as a bridesmaid or family member as a segue into their own story. However, I've found that when I get to read fuller descriptions of a wedding from either the bride or the groom's point of view that it seems to make the book feel more complete. That's not to say that a wedding should always be included, especially if the timing doesn't make sense, but they are wonderful to read about. In terms of Christian weddings, I've always been curious as to how authors convey this. Some