Skip to main content

Review: Meddling with Mistletoe - Prince Edward Island Dreams

Meddling with Mistletoe book cover on blue background

I'm on a roll with reviewing Christmas books in September; who says Christmas can't last during each of the -ber months? 😄 Meddling with Mistletoe by Liz Johnson is the latest mistletoe book I've been able to read this year and it will put you in the mood for the upcoming season.

Many thanks to Revell Reads for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: a scenario that results in Daniel laying on top of Whitney, vision boards (not employed but still referenced)

Book Synopsis

Whitney Garrett is preparing to enter culinary school in the spring, but first she has to sell enough homemade pies at the local Christmas markets to pay her tuition. When her oven breaks, Whitney asks Marie Sloan, proprietor of the Red Door Inn, if she can use the inn's kitchen to keep up with her orders. Marie agrees, with a catch: Whitney has to watch the three Sloan children and cook breakfasts for the Red Door in return.

The inn is busy with holiday guests—including Aretha Franklin Sloan's perpetually single nephew Daniel and Ruby, a businesswoman in town to purchase Aretha's antiques store. Intent on making a Christmas match for the two, Aretha enlists Whitney's help in her schemes. But the deeper Whitney gets, the more she realizes that Ruby is definitely not the right woman for Daniel—and the more she thinks that she just might be his perfect match.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I loved having the opportunity to go back to PEI in the form of a book, especially one set at Christmastime. It's always wonderful to read books set in my country, and even more fun to see some Canadian references sprinkled throughout the story (though we tend to watch the Weather Network over the Weather Channel). PEI definitely steals the scene with its quaint country charm and the precocious yet endearing children round out this story, along with the friends that Whitney has made over the years. This book shows the consequences of meddling and how it can affect other people's lives, packing a lesson into this Christmas tale.

If you haven't read the Prince Edward Island Dreams series before, there may be some questions that linger in your mind regarding the background stories, but this was only a slight detraction in what can be read as a standalone novel. If you're looking for a sweet Christmas story that gently develops into more romance, this continuation of the books about the Red Door Inn will welcome you in with both arms while referencing the true meaning of Christ's birth. Readers will enjoy seeing straight-laced Daniel mellow and Whitney bloom into the kind woman she is who seeks to bless others, making this book even more of a Christmas gift.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...