Skip to main content

Review: A Heart's Desire - Crossing Midian #1

A Heart's Desire book cover on blue background

I find coming-of-age stories so meaningful because they depict how the trajectory of an entire life can be transformed during such a pivotal stage. A Heart's Desire by Cynthia Frederick falls into this category and delivers not only one story, but three stories all wrapped around a series of events.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Wesley had always struggled with breaking away from his family's expectations, but now he’s made a big decision that will change everything. He’s finally taking his story into his own hands when a childhood best friend re-enters his life and makes following through on his new commitments more difficult than he had thought.

Anna has her own family struggles that have made her wary of any new relationships. Past hurts have seen to it that trust isn’t something that comes easy. But can she trust herself to take the leap when she has a chance to change things for the better? Or will she simply continue to hide behind her carefully built walls?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This was an incredibly touching coming-of-age story about three friends who have known each other since childhood. I loved that the author took the time to delve into each person's story and the challenges they are facing as a result of growing up and having to navigate life. I truly felt like I got to know Wesley, Emmett, and Anna and understand their unique upbringings and deep friendship. These young adults are also surrounded by some incredible characters who act as a found family, further immersing me into a loving and tight-knit community on the pages. A Heart's Desire not only introduced me to people who love well, but most importantly, pointed to God as the source of love.

This was quite an emotional book that gripped me as it explored the themes of parental abuse, parental abandonment, and parental pressure all in a way that made me want to fold my arms around Wesley, Emmett, and Anna. Though the main characters are young adults, there are still plenty of lessons to learn as older adults as well. Those wanting to read a book about God's faithfulness with characters who are easy to love will enjoy this title, especially as it tackles significant life changes and the call to place our hope in Christ.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...