Skip to main content

Ending Well

painted finish line squares on a racetrack

The more I hope to grow as a Christian, the more I realize just how far and long of a journey it can be. These past several years, and more so now that I am active online again, my earnest plea has been that I can end well. It's one thing to start well, but even more challenging to remain consistent and to make it to the finish line. Having Paul's words echo in my mind both spurs me on and intimidates me.

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. - Acts 20:24

In thinking about ending well, I can't help but liken it to a book ending. We all know what an unsatisfying conclusion feels like in a book. Everything is built up until it either crashes or leaves a lackluster feeling that the loose ends aren't tied up or the conclusion isn't what it should be. It's a lot of anticipation, all for something that could be underwhelming at the end or even worse, disappointing.

Hearing about the scandals affecting the evangelical church right now, it's definitely been the latter for me. Things shouldn't be the way they are, and yet, we live in a fallen world as fallen people in need of a Saviour. Perfection won't be the answer until Jesus makes all things new. Yet, it's such a heartbreaking ending when families break down, church members are betrayed, and the witness of the Gospel is tarnished.

It's easy to succumb to the thought that this could be the end, where for some, it actually is. For others, there is still the desire that repentance will generate a new arc in the story. I may not know how long my story is, but I remain hopeful that my Author will take the story where He wants to go. What is required is my obedience and surrender in this journey, which is sometimes a very aspirational goal. Even if I want to be able to state the following one day, I know that it is not an easy road.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. - 2 Timothy 4:7-8

As I walk with God each day, I am praying that I can finish well and that my story can point back to Him. My days are short and I need to make the most of them, but I do not walk alone. I don't want my story to be discarded one day, put aside because of how it ends. Instead, I want the ending to bring sense and meaning to all of the trials and turns I've had to take in life, pointing back to God as a testimony of His faithfulness.

These days, I am reminding myself to keep reading on and to keep walking on. My prayer is that I not only end well, but that I continue well so that at the end of life, it'll be the natural and inevitable conclusion.

“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. - John 4:34

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...