Skip to main content

Review: Her Summer Refuge

Her Summer Refuge book cover on blue background

I've started collecting the Love Inspired titles that Gabrielle Meyer has written and was thrilled to be able to preorder this book, all the way back in the fall. Entering the Restful August Challenge, I thought that reading Her Summer Refuge would be the perfect way to kick it off!

Book Synopsis

She needs his help to start over…

But can she earn his trust?

Jobless and alone, mom-to-be Jessa Brooks returns to the resort she once called home—only to find the man she left a decade before. New owner Will Madden offers his pregnant ex a cabin, a job…and a silent vow to keep his distance. But working together makes it impossible to stay away. As old feelings resurface, could they find the refuge they both need in each other?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a treat to enjoy this sweet summer story where Jessa has the opportunity to return home to Timber Falls after experiencing some devastating events overseas. I appreciate her vulnerability as she tries to overcome past regrets, and I love that the people in the town rally around her as she tries to do so. The sense of community in this book is rich, especially with the Christians in her church. Will also plays a pivotal role in caring for Jessa, which is a huge feat as he is battling his own emotions. Getting to see him act in a selfless manner truly makes him stand out amongst the men in this book.

The themes of hope, forgiveness, and love are strongly woven throughout Jessa and Will's story, traits that also characterize Will's family members. Christian faith is evident as the characters continually seek God while facing circumstances that look bleak. It doesn't take long to see how God is working in their lives as they yield to Him. As a result, it is lovely to see both Will and Timber Falls offer refuge to a woman who is in desperate need. If you're looking for a summer escape that offers touching moments and simple joy, Her Summer Refuge hits the spot.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: The Pursuit of Character

Classical education has always appealed to me in that reasoning and fruitful living that contributes to society are meant to be admirable and achievable goals. Reflecting a world where cardinal virtues are esteemed, I love that The Pursuit of Character by Matthew Arbo arrives at this vision from a Christian perspective, providing a compelling case for why Christians need to recover this framework and way of life. Many thanks to Baker Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis What does it mean to live a good life? Know what makes for a good life Pursue character and meaning Recover the virtues that have guided Christians before us In today's fragmented world, we are encouraged to define for ourselves what is good. But this inevitably fails to satisfy. In The Pursuit of Character , Matthew Arbo argues that we can learn how to live a good life by recovering the virtues that have guided Christians before us....