Skip to main content

Review: What is Biblical Wisdom?

What is Biblical Wisdom? book cover on blue background

Buddy reads are a little bit newer to me, so I'm delighted for the opportunity to go through R.C. Sproul's Crucial Questions series with another reader. Covering 38 different topics in short books, What is Biblical Wisdom? jumped out at me and seemed like a great way to launch into asking the crucial questions of life.

Book Synopsis

Wisdom isn’t something only needed by the foolish and immature. All of us are called to grow in wisdom, for true wisdom has to do with pleasing the God who made us.

In this booklet, Dr. R.C. Sproul introduces the Wisdom Literature of the Old Testament. He shows that wisdom goes hand in hand with being godly, and he demonstrates the Bible’s practical guidelines for a well-lived life that honors the Lord.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Having heard of the Crucial Questions series by R.C. Sproul, I am grateful that I got to read his text on biblical wisdom where he takes readers through the wisdom literature of the Bible. Starting with an overarching view of wisdom and its meaning and role within the realm of philosophy, Sproul dives into each type of wisdom book in further detail. What I loved most in this succinct volume is that the author offers some keys to better understanding scripture and how we can interpret the wisdom books through knowing the literary devices and cultural context of the time the books were written.

Since this series is meant to be accessible and a good jumping-off point for further study, they are well-geared toward anyone curious about the 38 topics presented or someone who simply wants a refresher on specific themes. In this case, Sproul not only points to how we can grow in wisdom in Christ alone, but also shares practical, real-life examples of biblical application. Readers will enjoy the breakdown of the wisdom books of the Bible and how the information is logically laid out in a way that makes the content easy to grasp.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...