Skip to main content

Review: Running to the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #17

Running to the Hero book cover on blue background

Running to the Hero by Hannah Jo Abbott is just the type of runaway bride story that brings a smile to your face after learning about all of the pressures that Felicity has faced leading up to her wedding day. Her escape to Freedom, Colorado lands her among friends in the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series.

Book Synopsis

Spending Christmas with a reclusive grinch isn’t exactly what this runaway bride had in mind for her honeymoon.

Felicity Keaton didn't even bother to shed her wedding dress when she left her hometown in the rearview mirror. As if it weren't already the worst day of her life, an accident lands her in the ER in an unknown town - where the handsome doctor is as mysterious as she is.

Jude Palmer tries to keep to himself, which is easier said than done in the small town where everyone knows your business. Living in a tourist hotspot at Christmas is difficult when you would rather be in seclusion.

When Felicity dives into the community in full holiday spirit, she drags Jude along with her. He’s determined not to enjoy it, but Felicity makes that nearly impossible.

Jude knows if he tells her about his past, she will run again. Can Felicity convince him he’s been the hero all along?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book is a sheer delight. Jude and Felicity are characters to adore as they each grow in their understanding of Jesus and pursue Him first in their lives. Their prayers, their hearts, and their budding friendship all make this story such a special one. In many ways, their story feels so realistic that I couldn't help but see my own love story in theirs. I definitely appreciate all the themes that Hannah Jo Abbott touches on, including a relationship with God versus good works, forgiveness, people's expectations versus God's will, and so much more.

Not only is this a captivating romance, but the characters also reveal the faithfulness and sovereignty of God through His perfect timing. The family interactions show the messy and difficult side of life, making it even more relatable. Though Christmas is the backdrop to the characters’ time together, the true meaning of God coming to earth to be with us is much more pronounced. Everything flows together in Running to the Hero, and it is a quick read that will surely bring a smile to readers.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Things I'm Not Supposed to Do

It's interesting to discover what people should be and shouldn't be doing when they share about books online. More and more, I feel like there can be a backlash against anything now, to the point where anyone with a passion for books can feel paralyzed in offering their own bookish content. For the large part, I try to tune out these things because it's ever-changing, and if it's not one thing, it'll be another. I'm sad when people feel stifled due to these capricious "rules" that half (if not more of) the time seem to keep people from excitedly engaging in what they love most. I'm thankful that I've received immense support from the reading community when I first started out, so I want to encourage anyone who is thinking of jumping in with their personal approach to books by sharing how I practically break the following ten rules covering things from content generation to materials access: I'm not supposed to use Canva for my book posts.  ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...