Skip to main content

Review: Running to the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #17

Running to the Hero book cover on blue background

Running to the Hero by Hannah Jo Abbott is just the type of runaway bride story that brings a smile to your face after learning about all of the pressures that Felicity has faced leading up to her wedding day. Her escape to Freedom, Colorado lands her among friends in the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series.

Book Synopsis

Spending Christmas with a reclusive grinch isn’t exactly what this runaway bride had in mind for her honeymoon.

Felicity Keaton didn't even bother to shed her wedding dress when she left her hometown in the rearview mirror. As if it weren't already the worst day of her life, an accident lands her in the ER in an unknown town - where the handsome doctor is as mysterious as she is.

Jude Palmer tries to keep to himself, which is easier said than done in the small town where everyone knows your business. Living in a tourist hotspot at Christmas is difficult when you would rather be in seclusion.

When Felicity dives into the community in full holiday spirit, she drags Jude along with her. He’s determined not to enjoy it, but Felicity makes that nearly impossible.

Jude knows if he tells her about his past, she will run again. Can Felicity convince him he’s been the hero all along?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book is a sheer delight. Jude and Felicity are characters to adore as they each grow in their understanding of Jesus and pursue Him first in their lives. Their prayers, their hearts, and their budding friendship all make this story such a special one. In many ways, their story feels so realistic that I couldn't help but see my own love story in theirs. I definitely appreciate all the themes that Hannah Jo Abbott touches on, including a relationship with God versus good works, forgiveness, people's expectations versus God's will, and so much more.

Not only is this a captivating romance, but the characters also reveal the faithfulness and sovereignty of God through His perfect timing. The family interactions show the messy and difficult side of life, making it even more relatable. Though Christmas is the backdrop to the characters’ time together, the true meaning of God coming to earth to be with us is much more pronounced. Everything flows together in Running to the Hero, and it is a quick read that will surely bring a smile to readers.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story Follow-Up

It seems that I opened up a can of worms with a story I shared yesterday regarding how I felt inundated by stories and posts featuring LDS authors on Christian Bookstagram. Since it's difficult to share on stories (IG has been quite glitchy for me recently), I'll share more here for context. Please don't read this if the topic isn't of interest to you or if you don't care too much about the theological background of the authors you're reading; that's absolutely fine with me if you don't read on 😀 Let me start off by saying that it's hard to convey things in a one-page story. I prayed that I would choose the words that would matter to summarize my thoughts, while acknowledging that they are imperfect and incomplete. If you met me in real life, you'd know that I'm fairly unassuming, very soft-spoken, and reticent to stir up controversy. I can see why people feel a little bit more bold online. That being said, I wrote this with a heart of conce

About Me

I normally shy away from sharing too much about myself as I stopped being active on social media almost a decade ago. When I mentioned that I casually browsed Bookstagram, I had been doing it with an account that contained zero content and zero followers at the time. This is now (slowly!) changing as I become more active on this blog. Because I would like to maintain my anonymity as much as possible, my biographical information will be scant, although I am sure that aspects of my life will emerge the more I share. Just so there is some context, here are some details about me: I am Canadian. I feel the need to mention this first as most of the Christian reading community seems to be American, and there is not always the same access to information, book promotions, and even vendors for those of us up north (yes, there are many publishers that do not ship books or send advanced reader copies to Canadians, but I hope this will change). I am an avid reader. I have averaged over 100 or more

Christian vs. Clean

This is a theme that isn't new if you've been following some of my musings over the past several months. You could even say this is the natural progression of taking this line of thinking to its conclusion. In evaluating which books to read, the refrain of Christian vs. clean has become so ingrained in my thinking that it's practically been on repeat for me. To be honest, I've never really held a view on Christian vs. clean books until the end of last year. Most of my reading since becoming a Christian has been all over the place, where I believed that acquiring knowledge, almost any knowledge, was worth it for the sake of becoming more learned. Being a voracious reader meant that I would consume most anything—especially if it was free as I didn't have a lot of books growing up (my parents preferred to take me to the library on a weekly basis as I would have cost them too much in books 😂). However, God has definitely been impressing upon me the conviction that I ca