Skip to main content

Review: Now and Not Yet


This is a title that I've been excited about ever since I saw others sharing about it, so I'm thrilled that I was able to read Now and Not Yet by Ruth Chou Simons before it was released yesterday.

Many thanks to Nelson Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Bestselling author Ruth Chou Simons guides readers who are restless in their current circumstances on a journey of growth, purpose, and pressing in.

Too often, we feel disappointed with our "right now"--our life circumstances, our relationships, our progress, our daily grind. We want to do so many things--good, godly things--but our situations don't allow us to step into them. Are we missing out on our own lives? Why does right now seem so far from where we really long to be?

Bestselling author Ruth Chou Simons reminds us that it's okay to not like the right now we've been given, but we don't have to like it to lean in. In Now and Not Yet, Ruth shows us how to.. .

  • embrace the biblical truth that someday is made up of thousands of right nows;
  • discern how the difficult parts of our lives are actually a unique gift by discovering five ways to flip the script on a hard season;
  • stop feeling trapped when we are not where we want to be with guided liturgies for what we are facing today; and
  • live faithfully in the tension between what is and what is not yet.

Your right now matters. And you can choose to press in and not check out. To know God is at work even when you don't see the progress you're looking for. To start where you are in this very moment. Because he's not through with you yet.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is my first title by Ruth Chou Simons, and it won't be my last. The author has such a way with words that the entire book felt like a visual feast, especially paired with her beautiful artwork and poetry. She is an artist, through and through. I love how she is able to write in such an approachable manner while getting at some meaty topics such as waiting on God, having our character refined through difficulties, and surrendering our plans. The questions she offers provide a good balance between reflection and meditation on God's Word, such that we don't allow our thoughts and circumstances to consume us.

My favourite sections are definitely The Theological Framework of the Now and Not Yet and the Scriptures, where all of the verses are compiled together. I appreciate how much this book is grounded in the Bible and how it takes the emphasis off our emotions. The author captures the theological tension of the already and not yet and applies it to how we can respond and worship God in the in-between. Infused with encouraging messages of hope and laced with the promises of God, readers will find Now and Not Yet to be a gentle and truthful book that can offer joy in the waiting.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: ๐Ÿ“ฑ
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: ๐Ÿ‘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one ๐Ÿ˜Š List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) ๐Ÿ˜„ I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...

Things I'm Not Supposed to Do

It's interesting to discover what people should be and shouldn't be doing when they share about books online. More and more, I feel like there can be a backlash against anything now, to the point where anyone with a passion for books can feel paralyzed in offering their own bookish content. For the large part, I try to tune out these things because it's ever-changing, and if it's not one thing, it'll be another. I'm sad when people feel stifled due to these capricious "rules" that half (if not more of) the time seem to keep people from excitedly engaging in what they love most. I'm thankful that I've received immense support from the reading community when I first started out, so I want to encourage anyone who is thinking of jumping in with their personal approach to books by sharing how I practically break the following ten rules covering things from content generation to materials access: I'm not supposed to use Canva for my book posts.  ...