Skip to main content

Review: Positively, Penelope - Skymar #2

Positively, Penelope book cover on blue background

I technically started this book at the end of December, but read the majority of it in January, so it counts as a January book, right? In any case, reading Positively, Penelope by Pepper Basham was probably the best way to start a new year! I'm a firm believer that God's timing is impeccable as this book came at just the right time for me. It also met one of the prompts for the Clearly Christian Readathon from Galatians 5:22-23, where joy as a fruit of the Holy Spirit is exhibited throughout the book.

Book Synopsis

The world could do with a little more kindness and positivity and random acts of singing, don’t you think?

Dear Reader, My name is Penelope, and while I may not be a real-life princess, I’ve been told I possess a certain fairy-tale heroine quality. I wield optimism as my weapon of choice, don amazing shoes and vintage hats whenever possible, and speak in musical references. All of which perfectly qualifies me to succeed in my new role as a marketing intern at the historic Darling House theater on the island of Skymar.

Only . . . it seems this internship position is going to be a LOT bigger than I thought. The Gray family, who owns the theater, has been stuck in a rut of darkness ever since the loss of their matriarchs. Now all that’s left is a dying theater, a reclusive grandfather, three siblings, and an adorable seven-year-old girl who desperately needs some pixie-dust magic.

So that’s what this story is about. My plans to save the theater! (Plans that, somehow, keep being stolen by a local competitor.) And an anonymous online theater troupe. And two single brothers who may be vying for this American girl’s heart . . . until they’re not (or maybe they just want me for my ideas too). And a dream job offer that will require me to make a truly heart-wrenching decision. I may not excel at finishing stories, but I promise to see this one through to its happily ever after.

Positively,
Penelope

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Reading Penelope Edgewood's story was both an amazing adventure into the world of theatre, and an inspirational look into one of the most joyous and hopeful characters I've encountered. Everything about Penelope just positively brims off the pages in delight, wonder, and faith that God can accomplish anything. Though I wish I had read it sooner, it also came at the perfect time for me as it reiterated just how much joy there is to be found in the Lord. Now I know what all the other reviewers have been raving about when it comes to Penelope! I love that her optimism isn't portrayed as wishful, but rather that it is grounded in her faith. This was one of the themes that was well developed throughout the book, where Penelope lives out her beliefs and it is translated into how well she treats others. It is evident that her character is what shines through most, and it is certainly worth emulating.

The mixture of the epistolary and narrative formats by Pepper Basham worked perfectly for this book and allowed us to get into the minds of the characters even better. I appreciated the element of mystery and intrigue against a backdrop of pure sunshine. If you're looking for a book that isn't shy about love being expressed through kindness, gentleness, and playful banter, this is it. The Edgewood family is special, and it's clear that they truly support one another and look out for each other's best interests. It's wonderful to read a book where popular culture doesn't overshadow the themes of faith and character development, which Positively, Penelope excels in doing. At the end of the book, readers will not only want to visit Skymar and Fiacla, but they will want to shine God's light amid the darkness of this world.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...