Skip to main content

Review: Believing the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #9

Believing the Hero book cover on blue background

I'm just trekking along with the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series! Believing the Hero marks the halfway point, so I'm getting there ๐Ÿ˜„ Honestly, these books are becoming a soap opera in my head where I'm familiar with most of the characters now and can revisit them throughout the year. What a fun series to get into where I can see what people are up to a little later in their life!

Book Synopsis

She’s been alone for years. Can this secret agent convince her to love again?

Jan Clark lost her firefighter husband ten years ago. She fills her days running Stories and Scones and doting on her first grandchild. Finding someone new feels like betraying the husband she loved for decades, and the thought of tragically losing someone again is terrifying. But Pete O’Rourke is handsome, charming, and makes her feel young again—and what could be safer than an insurance agent?

Pete moved back to Freedom, Colorado after 25 years as a CIA operative, not that anyone around here thinks he did anything but sit at a desk. Now, he is content with his quiet life as an insurance agent and real estate investor. When he finally convinces the lovely widow, Jan, to give a relationship a shot, everything seems to be falling into place. Until an unexpected visitor from his past arrives in Freedom and threatens to ruin the holiday.

Now, Pete is pulled back into the dangerous secrets of his past. He’ll do anything to protect his town and the woman he loves, but the high stakes could be too much for their fledgling relationship to handle.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

If you like espionage and a sweet story about an older couple, Tara Grace Ericson delivers both in a perfect combination. I truly enjoyed getting to know Pete and Jan's story after some hints of their mutual interest in each other in previous books; getting to see their romance play out over a longer period of time definitely made me more invested in them. I'm also fascinated by stories of people who are a little older than the usual 20-somethings in books as they've seen so much of life and bring a different perspective. I appreciated how well the author delved into the thoughts and concerns of both characters, especially when it came to their past. Jan grappling with fear and Pete grappling with security were good counterparts to further examining what it looks like to have faith in God.

While the suspense plot was intriguing and allowed for some agent tactics to be deployed, I loved how prayer was such a key theme in this book. A man who puts God and prayer first is a man who has his priorities straight. It was interesting to envision how a Christian CIA agent would conduct themself, giving Pete quite the back story. What I've found most charming about this entire series is seeing how people support one another in times of need. Freedom Ridge is a community that cares for each other and makes me wish I could visit (thankfully, I have the second half of the series to go)!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: ๐Ÿ“ฑ
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: ๐Ÿ‘

Comments

  1. Sounds great!!! Added this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It's an action-packed story with lots of sweet moments.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one ๐Ÿ˜Š List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...