Skip to main content

Review: Guarded by the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #7

Guarded by the Hero book cover on blue background

It's been a while since I've continued with the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series, so with Christmas around the corner, it made sense to get back into it. Guarded by the Hero is the seventh book in this series, and is the second book by Mandi Blake.

Book Synopsis

His job is to protect her, not to fall in love with her.

Heath Mitchell learned his security skills during his time in the US Marine Corps. After spending his first few years in the civilian world as the head of security for the Freedom Ridge Resort, he’s ready to branch out and help form a security firm. Things are just getting off the ground when he meets his sister’s friend. When a hit and run breaks into their meeting, she becomes his first client instead of his girlfriend.

Claire Odom has grown accustomed to a quiet life in the small town of Freedom. The perils of her past seem long gone until they resurface when she meets Heath. Determined to protect her, he becomes her full-time bodyguard. His good looks and the security he brings make it hard for her to remember he's only there because she hired him.

Heath and Claire grow closer as they fight to outrun their unknown enemies. Loyalties are broken, and unlikely alliances are formed as the quiet town of Freedom bands together to protect their friends this Christmas season. But is their new found love just a reaction to the fear or was it always meant to be?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It was really nice to return to a Mandi Blake book, and to have that element of suspense while learning more about Heath and Claire's story. I thought that the author did a great job of conveying Claire's past and her present circumstances in a sensitive manner. It was understandable why Claire acted the way she did, and I thought that Mandi dove into a dark topic with both grace and hope offered. Heath was such a patient man, and I appreciated how well he took care of Claire. He definitely lived up to the name of the book by keeping an eye out for any security risks. I also loved how they brought out the best in each other throughout the book.

It's always interesting reading American books about former or current military members. I learnt what the name of Heath's security company meant and got a glimpse into information on firearms. I liked that even though this world is mostly foreign to me, the book was also educational in that regard. It also introduced me to different ways that artists can be inspired and how they capture art. The scenarios felt believable, and the characters were endearing. Guarded by the Hero was well balanced between action and character growth, and I look forward to Mandi's next installment in the series.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...