Skip to main content

Review: From Burned Out to Beloved

From Burned Out to Beloved book cover on blue background

I don't often post reviews of books that are less than glowing as I'll move on from that title to something better. I also try to do a bit more research before confirming which books I'll go with for my weekly Friday Reads selection. In this case, I had failed to do enough research before choosing to read From Burned Out to Beloved, so I'm making an exception and posting a less-than-favourable review. 

Book Synopsis

As a social worker, jail chaplain, and justice advocate, Bethany Dearborn Hiser pushed herself to the brink of burnout―and then kept going.

Stress, despair, and compassion fatigue overwhelmed her ability to function. She was called to serve the abused, addicted, and homeless people in her community. Yet she was emotionally and spiritually exhausted. Something needed to change. Searching for answers, Hiser learned that trauma affects everyone who is exposed to it―not only those experiencing it firsthand. Psychologists call it "secondary trauma." She realized that she needed the very soul care that she was providing to others. From Burned Out to Beloved is Hiser's story of burnout, self-discovery, and spiritual renewal. But more than that, it's a trauma-informed soul care guide for all Christians working in high-stress, helping professions. Whether you're a social worker, therapist, pastor, teacher, or healthcare professional, From Burned Out to Beloved will equip you to confess your limitations, embrace your identity as a beloved child of God, and flourish in your vocation.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This was a difficult book to get through, not because of the heaviness of the subject matter, but more so due to the content and its execution. I was initially excited to dive into this coming from a non-profit background where I have worked with underserved populations in a variety of settings. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed that this book became a hybrid of social justice terminology and contemplative spiritual practices, almost to the point of syncretism where practices from other world religions seemed to be elevated. I don't doubt that this book will serve some people if they gravitate towards the author's form of contemplative spirituality, but most of the resources provided are not ones that I would personally read or access. 

For the right audience, this book may be helpful; however, this book did not resonate with me at all. If I wasn't committed to seeing if it would get better, I would have DNFed this one. Bringing up privilege and cisgender norms in this book was unexpected and felt more like shaming readers than helping them to understand the challenges that other community members face; it could be that these topics are meant to be provocative, but sadly, it comes across as more weaponized than it does gracious. At the conclusion of the book, it felt more like I had listened to a self-care book prescribed by a secular workplace (that just happened to include some Christian terminology and spirituality sprinkled throughout). This is not a resource I would pick up nor would I suggest it to burnt out Christian community and social workers.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 🎧
  • Rating: ⭐
  • Recommendation: 👎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...