Skip to main content

Review: Operation World

Operation World book cover on blue background

Since I'm on the theme of my favourite books, I wanted to share one of the best prayer guides I've had the blessing of encountering, which is Operation World. Please note that the 7th edition was last updated in 2012; however, it is part of the Operation World Resources list which contains more recent titles, including ones that are helpful for families.

Book Synopsis

Operation World, the definitive global prayer handbook, has been used by more than a million Christians to pray for the nations.

Now in its 7th edition, it has been completely updated and revised by Jason Mandryk with a team of missionaries and researchers, and it covers the entire populated world.

Included in this updated and revised 7th edition:

  • All the countries of the world
  • Featured maps of each country
  • Geographic information
  • People groups within each country
  • Economic information
  • Political information
  • Religious make-up of each country
  • Daily Prayer Calendar
  • Answers to prayer
  • Challenges for prayer
Whether you are an intercessor praying behind the scenes for world change, a missionary abroad, or simply curious about the world, Operation World will give you the information necessary to play a vital role in fulfilling the Great Commission.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Operation World serves as both an encyclopedia and a devotional, wrapped up in one package. What I appreciate most about this book is that it provides specific details to support prayer so that Christians can pray in an informed manner about all the nations of the world. The country profiles provide further insight into each nation, with everything from population statistics to a breakdown of religious groups and the percentages of growth among Christian denominations. Although the book includes a disclaimer at the front that statistics are always ever-changing, the heart of the data is meant to give a snapshot of how God is working in the nations. Readers will be encouraged by seeing the answers to prayer, and inspired by what believers are doing around the world.

Moving beyond merely providing country snapshots, Operation World excels in listing out the challenges to prayer, which serve as prayer prompts for readers. The nature of these prayers is well-defined and precise. There is little ambiguity so that when you pray, you are not only referencing the country by name, you are given information about the ministries working in that nation, the particular challenges facing that nation due to unique political or economic circumstances, and the types of outreach that are taking place. Christians with a heart for the nations and unreached people groups will find this book an excellent resource, helping families to become educated and prayerful about the world that God has created.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Reckless Love - Hatcher Hollow #1

No matter your thoughts on the worship song of the same name,  Reckless Love by Kate Goodwin is a powerful retelling of a story that we don't often think of, demonstrating the heart of God in pursuing us. What a beautiful snapshot of the Father's unrelenting love for us! Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis A pregnant girl A desperate woman The God who sees them both Amina Abdel’s sheltered world is turned upside down when she finds herself alone and with child. The daughter of immigrants flees her mother’s judgment and father’s shame, unexpectedly finding shelter with the small town’s pastor and his wife. Their kindness feels foreign to Amina, until she realizes they too want something from her—the baby. All Melissa Abrams has ever wanted was a son to carry on her husband’s family legacy of keeping an Abrams man behind the pulpit. As barrenness pushes her to a breaking point,...

Review: The Final Word - Bite of Betrayal #2

This is a book where the name Miles Morgan will have you wishing he was a real person after getting to meet his character.  The Final Word  is the next book in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas , set in the English village of Bramble Downs. Combining the opera, a bakery, a book based on a Cinderella retelling, and sisters who have each others' backs through thick and thin, there is much to explore in Miles and Sophie's story! Many thanks to  Mountain Brook Ink  for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, domestic abuse, stalking Book Synopsis When aspiring author Sophie Brooks chooses to trade a vibrant Paris life for the tranquility of a quaint English village, she imagines her final days in the City of Lights will be magical. Sophie doesn’t anticipate a chilling encounter with an old flame—nor does she plan to find a new love on her very last nig...

Shortcut-Less

I recently saw a carousel  post  from someone whom I don't follow that stopped me in my tracks. Essentially, it was about some of the issues found on Instagram; however, the slide that stood out most to me was the one stating, "I am not convinced Bookstagrammers actually read." While I certainly don't need to take the time to defend my actions or activity, I'm saddened at this thought. I've written before about The Privileges of Reading and Aspirational Reading , but things seem to have taken a turn for the worse with the proliferation of generative AI (not agentic AI—see Stop the Slop for the distinction) since I first wrote these posts. I'm careful not to make blanket accusations or pronouncements as many of the people I follow are both genuine and impressive in what they share, but it seems to be a sentiment that is growing in popularity. Whether people believe that I fall into the same category or not is something I cannot control. I can shout until ...