Skip to main content

Review: Off the Record

Off the Record book cover on blue background

One of the contemporary Christian fiction books I've enjoyed returning to again and again is Off the Record by Elizabeth White, who also publishes books as Beth White. Off the Record is part of the Kincaid Family Series, and introduces us to Laurel Kincade and Cole McGaughan where secrets and political intrigue imbue their story in Alabama.

Book Synopsis

Ambition is on a collision course with a secret from the past...

Judge Laurel Kincade has it all---brains, beauty, and an aristocratic Old South family to back her up. A political rising star, she's ready to announce her candidacy for chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.

Journalist Cole McGaughan has ambitions too. Working as a religion writer for the New York Daily Journal, he longs to become a political reporter. Then his old friend Matt Hogan, a private investigator, calls with a tip. The lovely young judge may be hiding a secret that could derail her campaign. Would Cole like to be the one to break the story?

Cole sees a clear road to his goal, but there's a problem. Laurel's history is entangled with his own, and he must decide if the story that could make his career is worth the price he'd have to pay. Can Cole and Laurel find forgiveness and turn their hidden past into a hopeful future---and somehow keep it all off the record?

Source: Book Cover

Book Thoughts

I'll be honest; in terms of incredibly romantic books, this one is pretty high on my list for being swoony (and that was before I knew that term!). Having two highly ambitious characters who try to balance career with family and faith along with a hint of mystery and suspense creates a fresh reading experience each time. As much as I love discovering new authors, I also enjoy returning to familiar ones, and Elizabeth/Beth White is one of those authors for me. Although I've never been to the Deep South, her books easily transport me there, granting me cultural and historical insights into a part of the world that is largely unfamiliar to me. With Laurel and Cole's story, the added layer of the judicial system is written in such a way that outsiders can still peer in and comprehend what's happening, and what's at stake.

It's hard to categorize this book through tropes as it was written quite some time ago, and because Laurel and Cole are larger-than-life characters who go through so much to get to where they are. Their chemistry is palpable through the pages and their funny banter gives the impression that being in their relationship is like walking on a tightrope, taking you on quite the journey. Laurel and Cole's interactions are memorable and lasting, coupled with their individual desires to seek God's will for their lives. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, Off the Record delivers just that by telling the story of two strong characters who only become stronger with God's help.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...