Skip to main content

Review: A Noble Masquerade: Hawthorne House #1

A Noble Masquerade book cover on blue background

In continuing my favourites list, I would be truly remiss if I did not mention A Noble Masquerade, the first book in the Hawthorne House series, by Kristi Ann Hunter. I also can't believe that this book has been out for eight years now; has it really been that long since I first read it?!

Book Synopsis

Lady Miranda Hawthorne acts every inch the lady, but inside she longs to be bold and carefree. Entering her fourth Season and approaching spinsterhood in the eyes of society, she pours her innermost feelings out not in a diary but in letters to her brother's old school friend, a duke--with no intention of ever sending these private thoughts to a man she's heard stories about but never met. Meanwhile, she also finds herself intrigued by Marlow, her brother's new valet, and although she may wish to break free of the strictures that bind her, falling in love with a servant is more of a rebellion than she planned.

When Marlow accidentally discovers and mails one of the letters to her unwitting confidant, Miranda is beyond mortified. And even more shocked when the duke returns her note with one of his own that initiates a courtship-by-mail. Insecurity about her lack of suitors shifts into confusion at her growing feelings for two men--one she's never met but whose words deeply resonate with her heart, and one she has come to depend on but whose behavior is more and more suspicious. When it becomes apparent state secrets are at risk and Marlow is right in the thick of the conflict, one thing is certain: Miranda's heart is far from all that's at risk for the Hawthornes and those they love.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Although I've read plenty of Regency novels and other Christian historical novels, A Noble Masquerade is always at the top of my list as my go-to fiction book. It is practically the perfect combination of everything I love: meaningful Christian faith, a sweet Regency romance, espionage and spies, letter writing, close family relations, hilarious and intelligent dialogue, unconformity, and a healthy dose of intrigue to keep the plot moving. This is the only fictional book that I have re-read about a half a dozen times now, including once on audiobook. It doesn't matter that I know the story's outcome and the twists and turns to get there, it is still a riveting read no matter what season of life I am in. I'm truly amazed that this is Kristi Ann Hunter's debut novel; in reading (and owning) all of her books since this one, I am not surprised that she is one of my favourite authors as a result.

In summary, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I'm delighted whenever I see others discover the joy that is Lady Miranda Hawthorne and the breath of fresh air that she brings. Marlow and The Duke of Marshington—well, what can you say? You just have to prepare yourself for much swooning and laughter at the same time. And finally, the rest of Miranda's family. They each receive a story of their own (including her mother!), making the rest of the Hawthorne House novels equally captivating as readers have the opportunity to witness vibrant Christian faith in action during this time period. Not only is this book lively, it is full of heart, ensuring that I will continue to return to A Noble Masquerade time and time again.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...