Skip to main content

Review: Kayak Girl - Hilton Head Island #1

Kayak Girl book cover on blue background

One of the things I've most enjoyed about being part of the Bookstagram community on Instagram has been meeting new authors. Ivy Emerson is an author that I've had the pleasure of getting to know these past few months, and I'm honoured that I was able to read her debut novel, Kayak Girl. This book kicks off the Hilton Head Island series, with more to come!

For full disclosure, I was on Ivy's ARC team and became a beta reader for this book; however, my opinions were formed in my first reading of the book as an ARC team member who received a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Sometimes, the river of life pulls us in unexpected directions...

Overwhelmed by life’s responsibilities, Elle Knight decides to trade her teaching job for a yearlong coastal adventure. She dreams of endless hours in her beloved kayak, marine-life marvels, and the simple joy of van life. However, her grand journey takes an unplanned detour when she finds herself temporarily stranded on the picturesque shores of Hilton Head Island.

Gray Hudson, a charismatic entrepreneur from Hilton Head, doesn't expect the captivating new girl in town to disrupt his well-ordered world. He’s determined to keep her at arm's length, but their mutual love for kayaking brings Gray and Elle closer. Every stroke of the paddle, every whisper of the waves, and each imprint of their footsteps on the sandy shores weaves their lives together in a mesmerizing dance of hope, love, and faith.

Yet every paradise has its storms. Elle harbors secrets she's unwilling to reveal, and Gray's heart, weathered by betrayal, struggles to navigate the waters of newfound love. Amid the sea caves and sun-kissed beaches, will grace and redemption prove strong enough to buoy them through the challenges ahead? Can they trust God with their futures?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

If there is a book that can bring me back to summer camp days and the excitement of serving in youth ministry again, it would be Kayak Girl. Throughout this book, I was reminded of the joy of being around children in an outdoor setting and sharing the love of God amid picturesque beauty. Ivy Emerson has written a stunning debut that sparkles with spiritual depth and the best reasons to fall in love during the summer. Her vivid descriptions of the waters and estuaries have you feeling like you're right in the kayak with Elle. Having served in ministry, it was delightful to read about characters who work with children and youth, lead worship, and care for their neighbours, especially with Gray spending his time giving back to his community. Being able to relate to their ministry work made the book even more enjoyable, and will resonate with those entering in or establishing themselves in this vocation. For new adults, this book is refreshing and captures the innocence of love, particularly after experiencing pain and heartbreak while attempting to trust others again.

Although there is a youthfulness to the book, it is evident that Elle and Gray go through in-depth spiritual maturity as a result of their interactions. I always appreciate it when characters make mistakes, learn from them, and become better individuals as a result. Kayak Girl demonstrates that, and more. Ivy tackles themes such as responsibility, owning up to sin, temptation, and the fruits of the Holy Spirit in a way that is gentle but unwavering. If you are looking for a sweet romance where the couple strives to earnestly grow in their Christlikeness, this is worth the read.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shortcut-Less

I recently saw a carousel  post  from someone whom I don't follow that stopped me in my tracks. Essentially, it was about some of the issues found on Instagram; however, the slide that stood out most to me was the one stating, "I am not convinced Bookstagrammers actually read." While I certainly don't need to take the time to defend my actions or activity, I'm saddened at this thought. I've written before about The Privileges of Reading and Aspirational Reading , but things seem to have taken a turn for the worse with the proliferation of generative AI (not agentic AI—see Stop the Slop for the distinction) since I first wrote these posts. I'm careful not to make blanket accusations or pronouncements as many of the people I follow are both genuine and impressive in what they share, but it seems to be a sentiment that is growing in popularity. Whether people believe that I fall into the same category or not is something I cannot control. I can shout until ...

Review: The Battle for Heaven and Earth - A Story of Scripture #1

When I saw this book being offered for #CampNetGalley  this summer, I knew that it would be an excellent opportunity to try biblical fiction with a twist on it. The Battle for Heaven and Earth by Mark M. Yarbrough and Jerry B. Jenkins is a book unlike what I've read before and it's already whet my appetite for what's next in the series. It's riveting with fast-paced scenes while plunging me into scenes of much spiritual depth. Since it won't be published until November 3, 2026, I am grateful I didn't have to wait that long to enjoy this title.  Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Fiction and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In the beginning—before Earth, before humanity, before sin--there was Heaven. And it was perfect. This is the story of creation as you've never imagined it. Once united in worship and purpose, the angelic realm is shaken when Lucifer—the most beautiful a...

Review: Reckless Love - Hatcher Hollow #1

No matter your thoughts on the worship song of the same name,  Reckless Love by Kate Goodwin is a powerful retelling of a story that we don't often think of, demonstrating the heart of God in pursuing us. What a beautiful snapshot of the Father's unrelenting love for us! Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis A pregnant girl A desperate woman The God who sees them both Amina Abdel’s sheltered world is turned upside down when she finds herself alone and with child. The daughter of immigrants flees her mother’s judgment and father’s shame, unexpectedly finding shelter with the small town’s pastor and his wife. Their kindness feels foreign to Amina, until she realizes they too want something from her—the baby. All Melissa Abrams has ever wanted was a son to carry on her husband’s family legacy of keeping an Abrams man behind the pulpit. As barrenness pushes her to a breaking point,...