Skip to main content

Review: From Good to Grace

From Good to Grace book cover on blue background

I've finally finished the first book in the #JesusistheLightoftheWorldReadathon! It's not that this book was a tough slog, but more that I didn't time the Readathon very well with some of the ARCs that I've been working through. A late start, but better late than never! I'm glad that I decided to start with a Christian non-fiction title—From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel by Christine Hoover—as it really sets the tone for the theme of Jesus being the light of the world this month and beyond.

Book Synopsis

God is calling you to something greater than good.

So many of us feel as if we do not do enough and, in fact, are not enough. We try hard to be good--a good friend, mom, wife, Christian, employee, or ministry leader--hoping for that "atta-girl" from God, some heavenly assertion that we matter. In the process, we find ourselves living by a lesser gospel: the gospel of goodness. It's a gospel without grace, and in the end, it's good for nothing.

With compelling illustrations from her own life and from Scripture, Christine Hoover helps you start asking, "What does God want for me?" before asking, "What does God want from me?" You'll find yourself breathing a sigh of relief at this powerful message of freedom and hope. Rather than serving God out of obligation or duty, you'll be compelled to love and serve God with great joy.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book is excellent at differentiating between the "goodness gospel" that we have become familiar with in our culture versus the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which is based on God's grace and not our own goodness in that we feel that we have to measure up. Broken into three sections, the author first identifies what the goodness gospel looks like, what it means to receive grace, and finally, how we should respond as Christians. I most appreciate that this book is written in a gentle but firm tone. There is no condemnation within the pages for having succumbed to the common mentality or practice that goodness is what matters in the Christian faith. Rather, the author takes an empathetic approach where she relays how she has been there and knows the struggles that readers may be facing. At the same time, there are definite calls to Scripture where we can clearly see how grace trumps our notions of how we should be living.

This is the first Christine Hoover book I've read and it did not disappoint. I look forward to the other titles that I have from her, and am encouraged at how solidly biblical her teaching is in From Good to Grace. There are memorable anecdotes that serve as reminders of God's grace in our daily lives, especially when our minds can easily fall into the traps of trying to do things in our own strength, or believing that we have to be on our best behaviour despite our human limitations. Since two-thirds of this book are about God's grace, readers are not left in the miry works-based theology and can instead look to the hope that God gives us in Him. While reading about grace and living it out can be vastly different, this book shows that it is not daunting and that we can look forward to a life that reflects God's love, freedom, and purpose.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...