Skip to main content

Review: Faces - Corridor of Memories #1

Faces book cover on blue background

What a delight to be able to read a Christian book set in Canada! As soon as I read the synopsis, I knew I would be in for a good prairie story. I should disclose that I actually know of the author, which was even further incentive to read Faces, this wonderful debut novel.

Book Synopsis

Struggling to survive life in the city during the Great Depression, Abbie McGreggor’s life is turned upside down when tragedy strikes and she is forced to leave behind all she knows to navigate her way through a world full of unfamiliar faces.

As Abbie struggles to come to terms with her new reality and rebuild her life, she must confront her own fears and face the truth about all she's lost. The faces are friendly in the country, but will Abbie ever be able to trust them, or herself, again?

Faces is a masterful exploration of love, loss, and the power of forgiveness. Expertly crafted characters and evocative setting make this novel a must-read for fans of historical fiction and emotional storytelling.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The premise of this book is not one that I can recall previously encountering, which made for an even more fascinating story set in the Canadian prairies in the 1930s. Abbie is one strong woman, and I found myself admiring her character more and more as time went on. She's not only likeable as a person, she's also relatable as she conveys her emotions in transitioning from an urban life to a rural life without descending into complaints or a woe-is-me attitude. This was refreshing to encounter as it demonstrated her resilience without minimizing her troubles; Chelsea Rae is obviously a skilled writer who can translate the depths of pain into a story that doesn't weigh readers down.

This was such an enjoyable book to read in that the plot moved at just the right pace, the multiple POVs were well-placed, and the lessons of faith sprinkled throughout were timely and appropriate. Readers can really get a sense of what it must have been like to live through a difficult era while getting to understand each character's history and nuances. Seeing neighbours come together, families take in strangers, and people looking out for one another is certainly a glimpse of the western hospitality that existed on the prairies. The author has done a marvelous job in bringing different people to life, and I look forward to the next book in her series!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...