Skip to main content

Review: Entanglements - Finding Ever After #2

Entanglements book cover on blue background

Last week, I shared about the first novella in the Finding Ever After anthology. I'm grateful that I was able to borrow the second novella in this book, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, from Kindle Unlimited. I wish I could read the other half of the collection; however, I'm glad that two books exist out there to access!

Book Synopsis

Nic Ricci is a North End piano tuner and part time math tutor who wants nothing more than to compose; but there are few pennies to be found and an ailing father to support.

When a well-paying opportunity arises as a rehearsal pianist for a wealthy heiress giving a recital at the Boston Conservatory, Nic grabs at the chance. He does not, however, anticipate a beautiful, intelligent woman frustratingly accompanied by a chaperone and promised to a brute of a fiance.

Esther Hunisett is trapped by her father’s poor business decisions, her dowry and future attached to a man who will save her family’s estate. With little to barter before her life is signed away to a man she does not love, she exacts a promise so she can perform one last time at a recital of all of her favourite pieces before he spirits her from the city she loves and locks her away in his sprawling upstate manor.

When Nic learns of Esther’s entrapment, he promises to help her find an escape route — and together they plan a strategy as intricate as the chess games they play every afternoon while her chaperone dozes.

To Nic, Esther-- with the long coils of golden hair he sees loosened as she exchanges pins for failed chess moves--is the princess in the tower, entangling him in an unexpected adventure he never imagined.

But every Princess needs a Prince and Nic isn’t sure if he can be anything more than the rusty tin soldier when she needs a white knight and a trusty steed.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I don't often see retellings of the Rapunzel story, so this was a neat way to envision a more contemporary version of the tale, set in 1920. For chess players and musicians, this novella is a treat as it takes readers into the intellectual pursuits of Nic and Esther. It also provides two additional languages in which they can communicate with each other, exploring what it means to bring your whole self to a relationship. While I was a little uncomfortable with how far their relationship progressed while Esther was still engaged, I appreciated that the characters still strove to do the right thing in the midst of feeling trapped in their situation.

The analogies between the chessboard and the relational maneuverings added a layer of depth to this retelling. The twists and turns that Nic and Esther encountered took me on a fun, if not nerve-wracking, adventure. With the help of some kind matchmakers, it is quite lovely to see people rally around them. The Catholic faith is more prevalent in this story (which makes sense given the setting and the characters' background), so that is worth noting. However, it is clear that the story revolves around the themes of being rescued and looking outside oneself for this help. On their own, Nic and Esther would not be able to escape their circumstances. Together, and with God's help, they can surmount the challenges they have faced, including abuse, financial limitations, and societal constraints. Even if the reader is not well-versed in chess or music, Entanglements is a delightful way to escape to Boston and experience a beautiful accompaniment of music, minds, faith, and love.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...