Skip to main content

Review: The Cul-de-Sac War

The Cul-de-Sac War book cover on blue background

For National Good Neighbour Day, I thought this fun title from Melissa Ferguson would fit the bill! The Cul-de-Sac War is just the guide to neighbourly relations, right? 😂

(Fine, it's an American holiday and I should spell it the American way, but I can't let go of the "u".)

Book Synopsis

In this charming rom-com, two enemies find something they never expected in one another—taking "all's fair in love and war" to a hilarious and heartwarming new level.

Actress Bree Leake doesn't want to be tied down, but just when it's time to move on again, Bree's parents make her an offer; hold steady in Abingdon for one full year, and they will give her the one thing she's always wanted—her grandmother's house. Her dreams are coming true... until life throws her some curve balls.

And then there's her new neighbor. Chip McBride.

For the first time in her life, she's met the person who could match her free-spirited air—and it's driving her to the ledge of sanity. She would move heaven and earth to have him out of her life, but according to the bargain she's struck, she cannot move out of her house and away from the man who's making her life miserable. So begins Bree's obsessive new mission: to drive Chip out of the neighborhood—and fast.

Bree isn't the only one who's a wee bit competitive, and as Chip registers what Bree's up to, he's more than willing to fight fire with fire. But as their pranks escalate, the line between love and hate starts to blur.

Good fences make good neighbors—and sometimes love and hate share a backyard.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The premise of this book is hilarious, with lots of hijinks ensuring from this all-out war between Bree and Chip. As always, Melissa Ferguson's comedic one-liners pair well against a story of growth in the midst of trials and challenges. Both of these characters' work struggles are relatable; the addition of trying relations with neighbours only makes their story more real. Thankfully, I would hope most relationships with neighbours don't extend to the level of pranks and outright war, but it definitely makes for a funny story (cue the animals!) 😄

If you're a fan of Lloyd Dobler holding up a sign, this book is filled with the ultimate in signs. The chemistry between Bree and Chip develops in an organic way, and the way they support one another through auditions and bids is charming. Beyond their relationship, profound family moments take place that are enveloped in deep spiritual insights. The Cul-de-Sac War is a lighthearted read that can pack a few punches.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...