Skip to main content

Review: Our Hope for Isabelle

Our Hope for Isabelle book cover on blue background

Our Hope for Isabelle: Grieving with Joy and Hope for Eternity through Infant Loss by Elizabeth Bloomquist and Taylor Bloomquist is a touching tribute and a beautiful way to remember such a precious family member.

Many thanks to Taylor Bloomquist and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

"...The world cannot define your child's worth..." 

"Our Hope for Isabelle" is a touching and inspirational book co-authored by a husband and wife who share their personal journey of deciding to start a family, how a shocking diagnosis of a life-limiting genetic abnormality impacts their pregnancy, and how they navigate carrying to term together.

With a strong emphasis on their Christian faith, the book provides a heartfelt account of the struggles, questions, and emotions that often accompany a life-limiting diagnosis and the loss of an infant. Through their individual perspectives, the authors offer unique insights and practical advice on how to better understand and support one's spouse during the grieving process by depending less on themselves and more on God.

This book is a must-read for anyone who has experienced the loss of a child or for those who want to support a loved one during a difficult time. Written with love, honesty, and vulnerability, "Our Hope for Isabelle" is a powerful reminder, even in the midst of great pain and loss, there is always hope for a brighter future through Jesus.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book is a poignant reminder that heartbreak and hope can exist in the same breath, especially as it pertains to eternity. The Bloomquists have written a deeply meaningful memoir of their daughter's life that is soul-affirming and moving, pointing to the hope of Christ on each page. With references to the Bible included throughout the book, Our Hope for Isabelle reads as part-biography, part-devotional. 

This book is especially helpful for parents dealing with infant loss, containing both the perspective of the father and the mother. It is comforting to know that there are many resources available to help parents through grief, as provided in the book. The authors are vulnerable but uplifting, leaving readers with a strong sense of hope and joy amidst the pain. This is a valuable resource that churches can make use of to provide to grieving parents. My favourite part of this book was the question about how we can grieve biblically, and whether the actions we are undertaking are honouring to God and those we have lost. This question alone differentiates this book from other books on a similar topic, and elevates it to one of the best books I would share with others.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

It was essential for us to comfort each other in a spiritually healthy way. We were determined to love each other biblically and support each other's grief biblically.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...