Skip to main content

Review: A Month of Musings

A Month of Musings book cover on blue background

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of author Liwen Y. Ho, and I'm delighted that she recently released a non-fiction title! A Month of Musings: On Motherhood, Marriage, & the Mundane (but Meaningful) Moments of Life was such a lovely and gentle devotional book that I wanted to share it immediately.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Once upon a time, before Liwen Y. Ho was a romance author, she had a blog. This book is a compilation of her favorite posts on marriage, motherhood, and everything in between. With humor and thoughtfulness, Liwen shares thirty personal stories and the lessons she learned to help you find strength in life’s difficult moments and joy in life’s mundane ones.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I appreciated the conversational tone employed in this devotional book, which came across as more of a conversation that you would have with a friend. In these conversations, deep truths emerge about our identity as women and how we live out our faith. I was touched by the thought-provoking questions that Liwen prepared to accompany each story and by her skills as a storyteller. Each theme is relatable and points toward how God can use the day-to-day activities of our lives to bring us closer to Him.

A Month of Musings is far from mundane, and Liwen's expert weaving of anecdotes that read like short stories (including a few unexpected plot twists!) with spiritual truths is a refreshing read. To be able to do both within a blog post turned devotional is an incredible skill and speaks to how well-developed her lengthier stories are! Although I read this book in just a few sittings because it was such a joy to hear from her perspective, I would certainly go back and take the chapters in one at a time. Much like enjoying a delightful dessert at the end of dinner, Liwen's book is a sweet way to reflect upon our days.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

...If it were not for the bad things in life, we might not ever experience the good. Goodness—lived out in the forms of compassion, generosity, and empathy—thrives the most where loss, pain, and sadness exist. Such irony, isn't it? But such harmony as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...