Skip to main content

Love Your Bookshop Day

shelves of Christian non-fiction books divided by white placards in Bowness Arts bookstore

I was so excited to find out that today was Love Your Bookshop Day (which I was remiss in mentioning on Book Lovers Day), only to discover that it's an Australian holiday. Oh well, there's no reason I can't celebrate Canadian bookstores today!

Side note: In my mind and my Instagram reel, I accidentally call this holiday Love Your Bookstore Day; however, as it's Australian, I imagine that the term "bookshop" may be more prevalent. Not all common English terms translate across the Commonwealth, I suppose!

Regarding bookstores, I'm grateful to the amazing Christian bookstores in western Canada that have helped fill my bookshelves, including Kennedy's Parable, Christian Book and Record, Better Books and Bibles, House of James Books and Coffee, and Christian Book and Music.

I might be missing others, so please let me know!

bookstand in foreground with award winning titles with Young Adult books and other books in background and puzzle table set up to the right with seating

These pictures depict a used bookstore that I recently discovered, with sections for Christian non-fiction and fiction. The most impressive thing is that this is the first used bookstore I've encountered that subdivides its Christian non-fiction up by its Dewey Decimal categories (for instance, Bibles, devotionals, prayer, evangelism, family, counselling, church history, etc.) 🥰 It's a lovely space with vinyl records, music, movies, and a puzzle table downstairs and a board game café and candy store upstairs. Check out Bowness Arts if you have the opportunity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...