Skip to main content

Book Cover Trends

old books sitting on bookshelf with different coloured spines

Yesterday's post about book cover usage prompted some thoughts about the covers themselves.

In reading a lot of fiction, I have come across some funny book cover trends that other readers have pointed out over the years. This funny video shows that when you spot a trend, you see it everywhere; in this case, people are walking to a lot of places. Closely related to this is women facing away (hello, Amy Lynn Green's book, Things We Didn't Say, that I agree was amazing!).

Others have commented on headless heroes or heroines. Another trend has been illustrated covers in lieu of either stock or staged photography. I don't think I have a preference, although I would say that in some of the fiction books I've read or owned, there have been times where the pictures of the characters on the covers don't quite fit the descriptions in the book, which gives me overall mixed feelings—the inconsistency! Thankfully, these things are much easier to fix now through editing images, whether illustrated or not.

Something that I am trying to picture in my mind is when an author moves from one type of cover to another. There's usually not much of a change to the spine, so it's not always apparent at bookstores, but I think it's more the mental model I have when I see the front cover, such as at used book sales or when browsing online.

A few authors that have recently made the switch from photographs to illustrations on their book covers include Becky Wade and Courtney Walsh. Other contemporary authors, like Bethany Turner and Melissa Ferguson, have only had illustrated covers as far as I know, so if I were to see photography on their books in the future, it could cause the same reaction.

I appreciate that book covers have evolved over time so that authors can attempt new ways to "package" their materials. At the same time, I really like things to match, which can make collecting books difficult when I run into a variety of editions. I suppose that trends come and go, and whatever is all the rage now, will transform into something different quite soon. In an age where cover reveals are lauded, and redesigned covers are commonplace, I expect that this will only lead to more interesting bookshelves. My favourite observation is the difference between historical fiction and contemporary fiction. Since this is how I have separated my books, I can definitely tell from afar what book is out, one of the fun things about book covers and the art and science behind them.

In terms of non-fiction, I definitely chuckle when I see similar types of artwork depicted across a number of genres, such as open doors, trees, ocean waves, and so forth. I do veer away from a lot of non-fiction books where the cover depicts a gigantic head shot of the author right on the cover as opposed to the dust jacket, but perhaps that's not quite as fair (e.g. judging a book by its cover). Maybe I don't mind a collection of pictures depicting fictional characters but would feel strangely about actual author pictures? 😆

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...