Skip to main content

Friday Reads

God is Rice and Hearts of Steel books side by side with header text of Friday Reads over a black brushstroke

Is it Friday already?! What a treat to have some titles to read going into the weekend! As the literary merchandise says, my weekend is indeed booked up 😄

This upcoming week, I am working on the following books, courtesy of the public library:

  • 📘 Christian fiction: Hearts of Steel by Elizabeth Camden
  • 📗 Christian non-fiction: God is Rice by Masao Takenaka
  • 📙 Non-Christian fiction: None this week!
  • 📕 Non-Christian non-fiction: Fair Play by Eve Rodsky—just finished!

I have a fuller schedule coming up, so I want to ensure that I have enough time to focus on the two titles I've been waiting to dive into for a few months now. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the Blackstone Legacy series!

I was able to finish listening to Fair Play a couple of days ago, and there were some nuggets that are still in my mind, so I may consider getting the book down the road. There were a lot of acronyms used throughout, and I'm hoping that a visual copy will make it easier to navigate the content.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...