Skip to main content

Friday Reads

pages in mid-air of a book on its spine

As much as I am able to do so, I will share some of the current reads I have on the go from my large stack of TBRs.

Since I may not review every single title on this blog, especially when I am concurrently reading non-Christian books, it will be a fun way to keep myself on track with the books I want to read within that week. I imagine some titles might take longer than that, so I'll see how this goes as a form of accountability 😃

For this upcoming week, I hope to finish the following books (sans one!):

Comments

  1. Hi! I'm so excited for your blog! :) And I wanted to ask how you enjoyed Yellowface. I just came across it on IG today and was very intrigued by the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!

    Yellowface was quick and easy to get through. I listened to it as an audiobook from the public library, and the narration was well-done. From what I've read in interviews with R.F. (Rebecca) Kuang, I appreciate her stance that authors should be able to write outside of their own cultural experiences. She was able to convey that quite well in the novel. As far as the plot went, it was a bit predictable, so there won't be anything groundbreaking or revolutionary there. I also had to tell myself to stop thinking that a solution to this whole mess was for June to have simply co-authored the book in the first place :) Other than that, it was a good peak into the publishing industry and its double standards at times, especially around race and culture. It brought some interesting ethical questions to mind, so for that alone, it was worth reading. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...