Skip to main content

Christ at the Centre

wooden cross atop a Bible

One thing that I have been convicted by throughout my life is that I need to be careful not to elevate reading—even reading Christian books—above my relationship with God. I confess that I will more readily dive into a book than the Bible at many times, and that this can start eroding my relationship with God. It's not that I perceive Him as being legalistic and counting how many times I am in His Word versus everything else I read. It's more that I want to do everything I can to guard my heart against idolatry. I believe that,

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:21

While treasure can amount to physical objects, I am realizing more and more that my time can be counted as treasure as well. Thus, I need to be even more careful that I am not consumed by all the time and attention I pay to looking up new books, reading, shopping, and of course, looking at lovely pictures of other people's home libraries (a much more recent phenomenon for me).

Although I am not sharing specific details about myself on this blog due to being an intensely private person, I will be vulnerable in sharing about my struggles and thought processes from time to time. Part of the wonder of reading is that a careful arrangement of 26 letters can bring about such a connection to others through shared emotions and stories. My hope is that other Christians can find aspects they can relate to as I convey the impact that books has had on my life. I find it fascinating that the very tool, technique, or spiritual pathway—reading—that helps me feel closest to God can be the very thing that I need to watch out for, lest it take over my life in ways that I do not want it to.

I am not a perfect reader. There have been things I have regretted reading over the years. I do not always compare what I read to Scripture and am sometimes guided by the notion of a Christian worldview as opposed to specific verses. I am also an easily misguided reader where I can get sucked into stories where upon later reflection, I realize that it was not good or unhealthy. I have aspirations of being a discerning reader, but I can succumb to what's popular out of morbid curiosity. The life of a learner can go down interesting, but not always beneficial paths. This is where I need to continually remind myself that what I read both matters and doesn't matter. This paradox keeps me on my toes as I see how what I read can have eternal impact while other materials I read will pass away with the world and not have extended meaning.

Thankfully, I can hold fast to the following truth as I engage in the pursuit of reading:

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever." - Isaiah 40:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...